Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Member Questions

SteveinOhio

SteveinOhio
I have recently purchased a (what I believe) an AC 914H. The serial # plate is ruined so I have no #. It has a Kohler 14HP motor. I have purchased a Simplicity Snowthrower for it which was in unused condition (the parts catalog that came with it says it is a #663). The id # on the unit has been damaged and is unreadable. I have tried to figure out how the snowthrower attached via belts and PTOs. One of my questions concerns how the power gets from the mower to the blower. I have a partial Simplicity PTO assembly, but it does not look like it fits the tractor. Are there drawings or something else that would help me figure out how to get this working? I look forward to learning a lot from this forum. BTW I work on old BSA motorcycles for fun. Steve in Ohio

First off WELCOME TO THE CLUB; If it is a 914 it runs off of the cone clutch like the mower deck, you have to remove the deck to install it in the same brackets on the axel. You need the right hitch to make it work. Pictures will help but you need to join to post them.

SteveinOhio
The hitch I have is a #171792 according to the parts book. I do not have a mower deck, just a mower. There is a mid pto and then there is the spindle on the front of the mower. Will the simplicity work with the ac. I am very new to all of this. Steve in Ohio

Yes simplicity will work on ac. You need to go to this page and learn some of this; http://www.simpletractors.com/what_fits/snowthrowers.htm and this one; http://www.simpletractors.com/X-reference/ac_s_pg2.htm

Steve, Welcome to the club. Go here: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php#start and enter 990663 and operating manuals and/or parts list should be available for download. (990 is placed before old model number equipment to give the complete mfg number; newer items start with 169). I think your snowblower was designed to be driven by a PTO clutch mounted to the front of the engine, not the mid PTO. With a single pulley hitch, the snowblower head should work with your tractor's mid PTO and a very long belt as Levi stated. If you have a "belly" mounted mower, it's referred to as a mower deck and the snowblower hitch uses the same tractor mounting holes as the brackets extending from the front of the mower deck.

Mower deck = Mower. The 990663 is not the correct blower for the 900 series tractor but it can be made to work. The 990663 Snow Blower is for the older B series Allis Chalmers and 700, 725, 2000, 3000, 3100, 3200 Series simplicity tractors. It has a 5" driven pulley on it and will have to be changed to a 7" driven pulley as used on the Newer 3300, 3400, 7000, 7100 Series Simplicity and 700, 900, series Allis Chalmers Tractors. The Snow blower on the 900 series tractor is driven off from the center PTO cone clutch with a long belt to the front using a one idler pulley adapter hitch. When using the snow blower the front Idler pulley on the pto swing arm has to be moved to the lower mounting tab on the PTO swing arm frame for the Blower the angle on the tabs are different for the mower and blower.

A) Cone clutch. B) V rear idler on PTO swing arm, Adjustable for belt tension. C) 7" driven pulley on blower. D) Belt stop. E) Belt guide. F) Flat Idler on Hitch. G) Flat front Idler on PTO swing arm on lower tab for blower. H) Belt guide.

SteveinOhio
Thanks for all of the information. This is going to be more fun than trying to syn two Amal Carbs. I do have the parts catalog for the 990663. I have the incorrect hitch as well as a the clutch group (minus the bracket and a few other things). The ? is where do I begin looking for the correct hitch and the correct pto? I haven't checked out the site too well and haven't seen if there is a classified ad section. I am sure there is. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance. Steve in Ohio

quote:
Originally posted by SteveinOhio
I haven't checked out the site too well and haven't seen if there is a classified ad section.
It's on the drop-down menu above...

The only thing you should need is the hitch. The clutch & PTO are already on the tractor. If it is a 900 series.

quote:
The 990663 is not the correct blower for the 900 series tractor but it can be made to work. The 990663 Snow Blower is for the older B series Allis Chalmers and 700, 725, 2000, 3000, 3100, 3200 Series simplicity tractors. It has a 5" driven pulley on it and will have to be changed to a 7" driven pulley as used on the Newer 3300, 3400, 7000, 7100 Series Simplicity and 700, 900, series Allis Chalmers Tractors.
Admittedly, I don't know much about snow blowers, but I believe the #990663 was for the newer tractors (3300, 3400, etc.) and I think it does have a 7" driven pulley. No?

1971 production year On parts manual Also in the parts breakdown it shows the pulley with the full belt guide and I have only seen this with the 5" pulley I did not look up the part#'s. The part# 171248 is a 7" pulley, the 5" pulley is part# 106663. I would measure the pulley to be sure and if it is the 7" pulley You are all set in that respect. You will then only need the correct hitch for the 900 series and a belt part# 1666798

SteveinOhio
I did go out an measure the pulley on the blower and it is 7". I do have a pto spindle (with a slot for a woodruff key) under the seat, but nothing else, no pulleys or anything. I am thinking it may be easier to fabricate a new hitch than to try to find one. Any thoughts? Thanks Steve in Ohio

SteveinOhio
I have checked out my unit. It does not have the hydrostatic unit so it must be a 914S (hopefully). Now it does not have pulleys attached only the pto spindle. To make it work with the 663 snow blower what am I going to need beside the front hitch with the correct pulley. It appears I will need a clutch cone, belt stop, 2 belt guides, b rear idler on the swing arm (on lower tab for blower) and the other flat idler on the pto swing arm. Is that all I will need? Will this be easy to obtain? I do have a front pto clutch assembly in new condition as well as the mounting hitch for the 7000 series hitch in new condition which I will not need. I want to post on your classified site so need to know a. what I should ask for and b. what price is fair for the items I don't need. Thanks in Advance Steve in Ohio