Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JimDk

B110 Progress Report

JimDk
Thanks for the kind words, all. They help me get out of my recliner and out to the shop. Duckman, It will go off the bench under it's own power. Four wheels, a battery and a little gas.

DMedal
It really is turning into a thing of beauty. Workmanship we can be inspired by. In the picture it looks like if you drive it off that bench it isn't going to look so pretty anymore (rather a long drop), so I gather there's more to the bench that I'm not seeing. -Don

JimDk
Don, The bench is two ft. high and has ramps. I borrowed the idea for the bench from a couple of other members on this forum. It works great. My back is 68 years old and does not bend like it once did. Jim

DMedal
quote:
Originally posted by JimDk
Don, The bench is two ft. high and has ramps. I borrowed the idea for the bench from a couple of other members on this forum. It works great. My back is 68 years old and does not bend like it once did. Jim
neither does my back! I need to do this before winter project time. how long are the ramps? You motor off the ramps with the restorer (you) on board or do you manipulate the controls from along side? (easier on a hydro I think!) -Don

JimDk
Don, The ramps are about 5 ft. wood planks which I fasten securely to the bench. Due to not having a good, safe way to test the clutch and brake while on the bench, I'll probably ask for help to get it down. At the rate I'm going I may need to roll it directly on to my trailer and head for the tractor show. Jim

JimDk
Here is the first "Roll Out". It was a fight getting it to run. I had to fix a leaky carb and stubborn ignition system, but is running fine now. I had a couple of un-planned trips to see Brenda and Bette , and as usual they came thru. It's great being only 15min. away from SLI. I have a couple of details to finish, then it's off to the Pioneer show.

JimDk
Thanks Mike, I may be a little critical of my work, but the yellow paint seems a tad too golden in it's first exposure to sunlight and I know the wheels are too white. ( Paint color did not match the spray can lid). I can easily fix the wheels, but the yellow is forever. Jim

JimDk
Thanks Everyone, I am happy that it turned out so well. I have nicer tractors that I could have restored, but I wanted to do this one to remember my neighbors. I used as many parts from the two as possible, so it is not perfect by any means. 35 years of hard use are hard to cover up. I did very little mechanical restoration, valve job on engine and replaced keys in BGB. I don't plan to work it, so it will be ok for many shows. The engine runs great with no smoke, the BGB is a little noisy. Kent, I agree that the color looks close in those pictures. The sun was not shining when I took them. I was surprised when I first took it out in the bright sunlight this am. It had a "golden glow". Jim