Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JohnnyBucket Jr.

skunkhome

Sometime last year our wise Parish* council (*county to the majority of you) decided that they would no longer allow parking on grass anywhere in the Parish. The ordinance includes parking in your own yard. Though I do park my truck along side the house I thought I was clear because I park on a "strip" drive of crushed limestone. If you look at it from the street it appears to be all grass but upon closer examination it is easy to see that there are two strips of limestone under the tires. Well, earlier this week my wife, who is at home awaiting surgery on her neck, called me frantically, saying the the sheriff was trying to write us a ticket for parking on the grass. I told her to let him write the ticket as I was looking to challenge it in court since I was parked on gravel. As expected, she wimped out and moved the "offending" vehicle out to the street to avoid the ticket, even though she had no business driving. I missed my opportunity to "fight city hall" but maybe I ought to just spread some gravel and clear up any doubts. In addition to the "gravel" drive, I had three 100+ ft pines in my back yard struck by lighting last year and were subsequently removed and the stumps ground. The whole affair left the back yard in a big mess with 3 huge pulp filled craters surrounded by mounds of earth.

I was thinking maybe this is the right time to justify an $800+ investment in a Johnny Bucket Jr. to help remove sod from my drive, spread gravel and do much needed earthwork in the back yard. I have been eying the implement for some time but don't know if I should subject my tractor to that kind of stress. I love my tractor and am looking ways to enjoy it(I am already cutting my grass 2-3 times a week and thinking about cutting my neighbors') but I would rather sweat my buns off than damage this sweet machine. I read the article I believe authored by Kent Thomas but was wondering if anyone else had a take on the Johnny Buckets.

I made my own a few years back, and can't imagine living with out it! They are one of the hardest implements ever devised! I wouldn't worry about hurting your machine. You will find that you can only put in it what you can lift with your Armstrong lift. I have hydro lift on mine, and it will life more, but there is a limit to what they will lift. Both are far less than the breaking points of these tractors.

Am in the process of making a johnny bucket. Do you have a photo of your lift arms, are they like the snow blade hook up? I used the clone plans Kent found on the Internet. Do you think the bucket needs a cutting edge, if so how wide and thick did you use. Stan:)

Roy asked me to take some measurements, but I ran out of daylight yesterday, then it rained on me. I will get more pictures and some measurements for you both. I did put a cutting edge on mine. I used 1/4 1 fate bar and bent the sides to wrap around the bucket. I used thinker flat bar and bent it up for the lift.

Elon, How far is your bucket from the front of your tractor. All the pictures I have looked at make it look a lot closer to the tractor. Stew

If you haven't already read it, then check out this post that I made about mounting a JohnnyBucket for a friend. I think he bought this one on ebay for around $400. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=82954

Phil, I know what you are going thru with the trees. We took down five 80 foot pines between my house and the neighbors. We also had the stumps ground. Been two years and the area where the chips were is slowly getting smaller. We tried putting a couple bags of potting soil on that area and planting seeds, but most of the grass died.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Phil, I know what you are going thru with the trees. We took down five 80 foot pines between my house and the neighbors. We also had the stumps ground. Been two years and the area where the chips were is slowly getting smaller. We tried putting a couple bags of potting soil on that area and planting seeds, but most of the grass died.
Rod, those areas are not going to grow anything until you have either dug out the chips or they have rotted completely. The decomposition of the wood fibers robs nitrogen from the surrounding soil.