Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front PTO shaft -pix's added

Nubian

After sitting over a year I started my D/A Ultima and activated the clutch, there is a LOUD noise coming from what seems to be the front pto shaft, in looking at my parts manual I see that there are two bearings front and rear of shaft (ref. #5). Since there are no grease fittings I am thinking that is where the noise is coming from. Has anyone ever had to replace these? How often do they go bad?

Are you sure it is the PTO shaft and not the clutch itself? I would take the belts off and try the clutch by itself and turn the PTO shaft by hand to see if the #5 bearing is the issue. My clutch bearings just went last weekend. I am expecting the new clutch from Al today.

I have engaged the clutch by itself,but that noise only materializes when the belts engage the pto shaft. I have turned the pto shaft by itself and noticed some resistance and a slight grinding noise. As for the clutch the field unit is brand new all the other parts rotate freely and is gapped at .018, there is a slight metal grinding noise when the clutch is first engaged but it quickly disappears is this normal? Also the spacer part #11 how tight should it be against the armature? And what purpose does it serve? The clutch seems to operate the same without it on.
quote:
Originally posted by rsachs
Are you sure it is the PTO shaft and not the clutch itself? I would take the belts off and try the clutch by itself and turn the PTO shaft by hand to see if the #5 bearing is the issue. My clutch bearings just went last weekend. I am expecting the new clutch from Al today.

Sounds like you have isolated it to the PTO bearing. My clutch also made the grinding noise as it engaged and was very short duration. Hope it is normal. Not sure of the torq spec or purpose of spacer #11.