Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what is the weight of an allis 917 H ???

quantico

I am picking up a dead 917 H on Saturday about 100 miles from my house.. the engine is bad. I have never seen a 917 H in person so I wonder what the tractor weighs ???? I have to pull it up a ramp with a come-a-long... and some straps... I want to know what I am in for ... How does the 917 H compare to a sunstar in size and strength and generally what is the opinion of the 917 H ????

Most major brand Garden tractors around the size of the 900 series weigh an average of 600-700 lbs without the deck. Add another 100 lbs for the deck. I dont know the exact weight but this gives you and idea. Sunstars are just a little bigger physically. I cant compare as I have never used a Sunstar myself.

According to my GTH-L (should be same as A/C 900 series) owners manual: Weight (approx.) Net:689 Lbs Shipping: 808 Lbs w/48" Mower: 956 Lbs Great tractor but more "top heavy" than the 7000 series since the 7100 series sit a little higher. I notice a difference mowing my hills. I'd say they are made just as heavy, just not quite as big as a SunStar.

Shouldn't be a problem with a come a long. That's how I got my 4040 onto the trailer through 2 feet of snow that I drove down with the ole Dodge first. maybe it depends on how bad you want to get it on:D:D

I have only had 900 series tractors and love them. Wouldn't mind having a sunstar w/ power steering makes my mowing and beer drinking much easier^

It was about 100 degrees outside and working in the sun was really something... my daughter ( age 13 ) had the honor of winching the tractor up the ramps.. it was a lot of work but the tractor really seems worth it. The machine seems hundreds of pounds lighter than the sunstars I have and quite a bit smaller... seems like a nice design however. The brakes were supposed to work... but they did not. This required using the come a long to lower the tractor as well down the ramps... Had two straps break on the way home and one tire rolled forward off the front of the trailer... luckily I am built to lift tractors and move them back where they belong.. the snowblower and deck look great. The fan side / output shaft side of the magnum was completely covered in debris and what looks like hay or straw pieces... I am guessing that the failure was heat related. Hopefully the engine can be saved as it is only three years old... not sure what the orig engine was, but it now has an 18 HP kohler magnum. The engine code shows it is three years old.. what a shame..

quote:
Originally posted by quantico
Had two straps break on the way home and one tire rolled forward off the front of the trailer... luckily I am built to lift tractors and move them back where they belong..
I may be overly cautious but I just don't like straps. I like to use 1/4" proof coil chain and a "Chain Dog" to keep my garden tractors on a trailer....

I usually fasten a chain over the front axle avoiding the steering drag link then pull the whole thing back with a chain and "chain dog" run through the draw bar, then safety wire the binder arm. I do this whether I am going across town or 700 miles and I can tell you as long as the front axle and draw bar stay on the tractor the tractor will stay on the trailer.