Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
skunkhome

13hp Briggs"Skip"

skunkhome
I am getting some skip and stumble on my 13hp Briggs converted to battery ignition. Acts like too lean but goes directly to running rich (smoke and sputter) when I adjust. If I come back to mid point it will stumble on acceleration again. Engine idles smoothly. Is this fuel or spark, timing? Or am I just over adjusting? Or is it something else?

rsnik
Hi skunkhome, I have this same issue with the 16HP Briggs that is in my 3414 Baron-S. You adjust to the midpoint and the engine chugs and stumbles when you advance the throttle immediately from idle to wide open throttle. The manual says slightly opening the jet will cure this. It doesn't. If I keep opening the jet goes to running too rich, but I never find the sweet spot where it runs right. I paid a small fortune for a "nearly new" carb on ebay last winter. Maybe tomorrow we will install the new carb and see if that does it. I have a feeling it's more like valves hanging up or something. Rod says worn carbs present problems at idle but still work pretty good at speed, unless it's a major air leak like failed gaskets. It is one of 3 things. A fuel issue, a spark issue or an internal engine mechanical issue. You could hook a timing light up and just shine it at the wall while advancing the throttle from idle to full throttle. If the spark falters you should see it in the way the timing light blinks. I think I am actually going to continue parting out the 7016H tomorrow for tractor time. It's like, heh, heh, heh, this one ain't gonna develope no agravating problems!

skunkhome
quote:
Originally posted by rsnik
Hi skunkhome, It is one of 3 things. A fuel issue, a spark issue or an internal engine mechanical issue. You could hook a timing light up and just shine it at the wall while advancing the throttle from idle to full throttle. If the spark falters you should see it in the way the timing light blinks.
RSNIK, I may just try that tomorrow evening. I was looking at the spark plug yesterday and noticed that it was a J17LM. Now, I don't know anything about that spark plug but I am sure that when I was a kid fooling with these motors there was no such spark plug around. I once again referred to the manual and found that it called for a Champion J-8 or some other equivalent. Since then they have changed the designs somewhat and now I have to buy a J-8C. I noticed that when I pulled out the J17LM today it was pretty badly smutted up though not fouled.

I figure it must be running too cool to effectively burn the gas. I am hoping the new plug will function like the original. It seemed to run ok while I was running it today. I know that the old Mercury 9.8 outboard I had used J6J or J7J plugs and ran great but in the early 90's I could no longer get those plugs and had to start using a J6J-C or something to that effect. Well the plugs with the "c" I thought meant copper electrode ran too cool and the old '62 9.8 would oil foul (motor ran on 32:1 mixture) in a matter of seconds. I ended up having to buy a NEponDEMSO plug which was more like the old J6J plug and it ran great.