Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar Mower Deck Driveshaft Removal

stevenj

I need to replace the seal on the input shaft for the mower deck gearbox. I removed the through bolt on the u-joint yoke and the set screw is already missing. I tried driving a cold chisel between the gear box and the yoke but it won't budge. I don't see any way to use a puller unless I disassemble the u-joint. Any suggestions on how to remove the driveshaft from the gear box input shaft? Is there a woodruff key on the shaft or does the through bolt react the torque?

In the owners manual and parts manual it looks like there is a grease fitting in the end of the yoke. If that is the case use a grease gun squirting grease into the yoke hydraulicking it off. Otherwise you will have to use a hammer and drift tapping your way around the shaft on the yoke collar to loosen it and drive it off.

The grease zerk is to grease the u-joint itself. I guess, if it were me, I'd start by squirting WD-40 on it a few times a day for a couple of days, letting it work it's way in. If that doesn't work, you might try heating it - your gearbox seal is out anyhow, but this won't be too good on the u-joint. Another idea - take the cover off of the gearbox and see if you can get the gear off the shaft. Pull the shaft out, replace the seal, slide the shaft back in and put the gear back on. Don't know if that will work - never had one apart. Let us know what you end up doing - may need to know someday if I have a seal go bad on mine! :)

UCD - If you are talking about the thing just to the right of the longer red line you added to the diagram, that is a bolt that holds the driveshaft onto the gearbox shaft. I just checked my parts diagram and it shows that bolt as well as a set screw - no grease fitting.

If you can't wedge anything in between the yoke and gearbox, could you put a clamp of some type (C or bar clamp) on the yoke and leverage between the clamp and gearbox with a block of wood and pry bar? Is there enough room to get a jack in there to work as a spreader? Just enough to back it off and then use the points UCD indicated in the diagram above.

Steve, If you can get the u-joint out of the yokes, I would use a small diameter bearing separator(type used to remove tapered roller bearings from shafts) between the case and input yoke half; then use it with a gear puller. Trying to pry against the yoke/ input shaft housing might damage the oil seal flange area. Tom(PK)