Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil Pans for K301

Dadsy98

Hi everyone! been awhile since I've stopped by. I need your help. I recently aquired an Old Ford garden tractor with a K301 that has the A type oil pan. I really would like to use it to repower my AC312/K341. are there any work arounds to the oil pan swap? I understand the bolt holes are different. TIA Steve

I had the same Idea[bad], I bought a 16hp off of a ford and was going to change the pan and put it on a allis and found the allis pan will not even bolt up to it the block is differant. what I have found is if you add 3/4" plates under each side and drill them to mach the allis and ford bolt pattern it might work.:(

HI Steve! I was wondering where ya went to:o) Last time I read from ya was when you were starting to assemble that metal building. How did that go? If its an A block from a Ford I think you are pretty much stuck with the flat bolt from the bottom A type pan. Wheel Horse and Case pans are pretty much flat. Deere and Cadet pans have a sump that hangs down. Almost impossible to use the sump types in other applications using the plate method as Levi suggested, but the Plate method may work with the case or whel horse pans. Only to remember is that the flat A pans hold alot less oil than the others. Sam

Hi Sam:) Yep, It's been awhile. I was blown off course about two years ago. Fortunately, my tractors held together while we got ourselves back on track. The metal shed is still pending. i haven't done much with the K301 other than the usual clean out the shroud, clean the carb, change oil and see if it runs. so far she sounds strong. I hadn't thought of a sump on the underneath tho. I 'll check for that when I get home. I'd send a pic of this old ford - you would probably know more about it But I need to get my dues in. The ford has a tubular frame like a Bolens, a drive shaft and BGB like a Simplicty, the tranny is similiar to a 3 speed Regent, and the front PTO and deck is like an old Cadet. Strange to me... steve

If you havnt taken the engine out of the ford check and make sure the pan on it isnt actually part of thr tractor frame. I thought it was, but its been years since I had a Ford like that. I can remember the gearbox and tranny setup, but not what the pan was like. Gilsons had a pan that was basically part of the tractor frame, though they used Briggs cast iron engines. I always keep a extra pan laying around in case I get one of those and want to use the engine in something else.

well, I checked the bottom of the engine last night. ARGG:(:( This one has a sump. Sooo, I guess these are my choices: A. sell the tractor B. keep & use the tractor C. locate a flat bottom type A oil pan The tractor runs, tranny seems okay. I could use it as a mule around the property. The mower deck is pretty rough though. To sell it I'd have to find a ford collector that's interested. If anyone has a lonely flat type A pan I'd be interested:D