Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

707 Restoration (Update 7-12-07) Now Rolling

MarksA-C

Finally, I get enough done where I can work on the 707 again... I had to strip it all down again and get as much of the old paint off as I can and get it ready. This time I got a sanding attachmnet for my grinder. Down to bare metal in no-time!

I found this on sale at Wal-mart so why not? Evened out all the flaws!

Sanded down and washed clean.

First coat of White Primer.

Also, I looked around at a few stores and didn't find any of the Dupli-color chevy red-orange, but I did find this... Matches really well after 2 coats (Tested on bare metal with what Dupli-color I had left)

the dupli color paint is at auto zone. It looks good so far. Cant wait to see what it looks like when its finished!

The Duplicolor paint is also at Wal Mart in the automotive section. Looks good Mark! Tom

I went to the 2 Walmarts near me, Nothing... Anyhow, I got the dash apart, sanded and primed...

By tomorrow it should be ready for another sanding and a coat of primer.

Mark, Looks great! I personally am partial to 500 degree engine enamel paint from auto stores. They're pretty tough. :o)

Good progress Mark! Yes, all of the Wal-Marts around here stopped selling the Duplicolor engine enamel about 6 months ago, they never sold the right shade anyway, Wal-Mart sold DE1620 which is too orange. Most any auto parts store should have the correct DE1607 chevy orange.

I'm re-posting my pictures, with the last troubles of the host server thing, they got lost... About 2 days old... Here is the Frame

Underside painted Black [img]/club2/attach/MarksA-C/DSCF1094.jpg[/img]
Painted Dash [img]/club2/attach/MarksA-C/DSCF1095.jpg[/img]
Tape Off [img]/club2/attach/MarksA-C/DSCF1096.jpg[/img]
Dash Stuff Added [img]/club2/attach/MarksA-C/DSCF1097.jpg[/img]
FLAW!!! [img]/club2/attach/MarksA-C/DSCF1098.jpg[/img]
Fixed, Model building Skills [img]/club2/attach/MarksA-C/DSCF1099.jpg[/img]
Fixed the decal, painted in the bad scratches and discolorations. [img]/club2/attach/MarksA-C/DSCF1100.jpg[/img]
Frame...Ya....The color just isn't working for me..... [img]/club2/attach/MarksA-C/DSCF1101.jpg[/img]

GOt a ok amount done today, got really hot though, so put the stuff in the garage and called it a day. I think the Color might be fixed, hope I don't have to sand it again.

Finished Dash and Frame, adding Throttle/Choke later

Steering Shaft

Mark, If you pull this steering shaft out, clean it up with emery cloth then grease it that steering will work nice.
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/MarksA-C/DSCF1105.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the tip Ksever. ALso, I don't know how that happened Goatfarmer. Like I told you, there were tracks in my paint! Luckily it was small but it was annoying... Also Ksever, the one I got from you is next with a 14.5hp:lvs8D

looks great so far Mark :) one of these days i'll get back to the B-16....well, ok, B-12 with a 16hp transplant :D

Well, In the garage....Still working on the 707. Nice and Dry out of the rain.

I noticed that the top lip of the dash was bent, so Very carefully I bent it back into shape.

I think thats it for today, a dang possum desided to come into the garage when i was working....Scared the Crap outta me! I turn to pick up a wrench and there it was...standing 2 feet from me...:O

Well...about the possum.... It was a smaller one, but It must have run into the garage to get out of the rain. But when you don't expect it, it scares you. Also, i didn't know but there was a Advanced Auto near me with a HUGE selection of paint. Dupli-Color DE1607. Bought 3 cans of it. Already sanded the frame a bit and added a coat. HUGE difference! Pictures will be added tomorrow.

Steering is finally done. All painted,greased up, and attached. Frame and Transmition

Front Wheels off the 738

More parts out to dry

Now a Rolling Frame

Starting to look like a tractor again

Good progress so far! Your going to have to straighten back out the steering rod. Or most likely find one thats straight. When I had it I would straighten it back out and when I came back in from mowing it was bent again and the steering was all wrong.

Mark, Lovely job done so far. That engine enamel is some real good stuff. I use it all the time. :) On Edit: That engine enamel likes it a lot when you keep the painted pieces out in the sun for as long as possible before banging up the paint job. It hardens the paint job and ensures that it sticks properly. I personally would leave completed tractor out in the hot sun for 2 days before using it.

Well I took the steering rod off and replaced it with the one from the 738. Fit right in, no bends.... I also got the PTO engage, Mule drive (If thats what its called), and the Hood supports all painted and put together on the tractor. I still need to get the engine off the 738 and check it out. Make sure its clean and not broken anywhere. Also the engne pulleys need to be switched. I'll get pictures tomorrow...

Mark, Great looking tractor you're going to have. Someday I'll get back to my two sitting in the backroom. Another couple days and I'll be done with complete gut and remodel of my downstairs bathroom then hopefully I have a little more spare time :J(I doubt). (Just a note) With the amount of pictures in this posting you might consider a new topic on this subject as a "Part 2" so the people with dial can access your posting without waiting for minutes to view it all. Not that it effects me directly but I do know how it is to use dial-up when I'm out of town at my in-laws. Just my two cents.