Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
skunkhome

Parts on front spindles

skunkhome
I was putting off repacking my front wheel bearings on my 3414s but I was kinda forced to do it yesterday as my left front wheel fell off while mowing. I stopped before the wheel came off completely but the grease cup, collar, washer and outer bearing had come off and were scattered in the grass. Luckily none were hit by the mower blade. Actually I did not find the outer washer in the grass and I found the outer bearing and collar still stuck together with grease. That is if the outer washer is described as being only about 1" in diameter roughly the same as the collar. That washer I found on the spindle outside the inner bearing. I cleaned up the inner seal while still in place and greased, then put the cleaned and greased bearings and wheel back together moving the "washer" to the outside outer bearing upon assembly. While I was at it I figured I would repack the bearings on the right side. Upon disassembling the right wheel I found a large 1-1/2" OD washer between the collar and the outer bearing, and once again found the smaller diameter washer on the spindle between the two bearings.

I just figured someone added the washer so I removed it and upon reassembly replaced it with the smaller diameter washer. Did I do right? Is this washer a foreign part added or is it the spacer that is supposed to go behind the seal?

gregc
There should be two spacers, 0.753"ID X 1.062" OD X approximately O.250" thick, per assembly. Spacers are #14, seal is #10, #15 the set collar and #7 and #8 the bearing cup and cone in the drawing below.

skunkhome
quote:
Originally posted by gregc
There should be two spacers, 0.753"ID X 1.062" OD X approximately O.250" thick, per assembly. Spacers are #14, seal is #10, #15 the set collar and #7 and #8 the bearing cup and cone in the drawing below.
[img]/club2/attach/gregc/3414fwheelassy.gif[/img]

Greg, What tractor is that diagram for? The one in my 3414 manual is different and the spacers appear to be different. They also have different names the one behind the seal is called a spacer while the one next to the lock collar is called a washer. I feel that I must have a spacer behind the seal as the lock collar is just about even with the end of the spindle. Compared to your dimensions " 0.753"ID X 1.062" OD X approximately O.250" thick" The washer I removed measures 0.811"ID X 1.51"0D X 0.156" thick so must be something one of the previous owners installed after sliding the right washer on the spindle between the two bearings where it does absolutely nothing.

gregc
Phil, it's the online manual from Simplicity tech pubs for the 3414S (MFG# 990979). http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1373_00_BR_S.pdf I haven't been into the front wheel bearings on my 3414S yet, but will shortly as I need to change a flat tire. I did notice that on my JC Penney 494cc, which is like the Simplicity 7013S that replaced the 3414S, it had the two spacers on the spindles. I changed to the narrow wheel to use a set of tri rib tires and could not use both spacers. There wasn't enough room for the outside spacer so I just left it off and pushed the set collar against the bearing's inner race. I believe some of the older tractors had washers instead of the spacers.

skunkhome
quote:
Originally posted by gregc
Phil, it's the online manual from Simplicity tech pubs for the 3414S (MFG# 990979). http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1373_00_BR_S.pdf
Greg, Funny that was the same manual I was using, I was just on the wrong page. I use that manual and an A-C 900 series manual (original) as the photos are easier make out.

builder386
I just had the wheels off my AC 917 and didn't see anything that resembled the washer you took a pic of. My manual only shows a spacer on the inside of the inner seal. I agree that the washer you removed did nothing if it was indeed between the 2 bearings.

skunkhome
quote:
Originally posted by builder386
I just had the wheels off my AC 917 and didn't see anything that resembled the washer you took a pic of. My manual only shows a spacer on the inside of the inner seal. I agree that the washer you removed did nothing if it was indeed between the 2 bearings.
Actually it was the correct washer which was misplaced on both axles between the bearings and the large interloper was in the washers place on the right spindle only.