Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rattle can brands and color match

rsnik

I am sure I once found a FAQ or article section that listed common rattle can spray paint brands and colors that are close to Simplicity colors. I have searched the forums etc with no joy. I know this ground has been covered a million times....but. Looks like good painting weather and I have a bunch to do. Anyone feeling helpful or even merciful out there?

Kryolon Ivory or Almond is good for the White sections, and Dupli-color Chevy Red/Orange 1607 is a really close match to the orange.

Aha! I finally found it. The best place to hide something is in plain sight. Just double click on Discussions and it's in there. Navaho White from True Value!

You absolutely have got to try this paint - the color match is excellent, and it is hard as a rock when it cures (let it dry for about a week) The best part is the Rustoleum self levels for a great paint coat every time.
[img]/club2/attach/RipRat/CIMG3323.JPG[/img]
It is Rustoleum PN 209716 AC Orange. Many Rustoleum dealers told me that they could not order this (in fact, one told me it was no longer available) - but I found it on this site: http://kscdirect.com/category/1000052/1007322/ Give it a try....

Hi RipRat, I painted the seat pan tin on the 3414 with this paint and I agree it is super stuff. The color I selected as far as what I thought was close to Simplicity is wildly off as far as Simplicity colors go (my bad). I picked the wrong color but the paint itself is deeply translucent and very lustrous, like show car paint. Works great for me if I could get a closer color match. Bottom line, you have my full attention: what colors do I buy to match the Simpicity colors?

Go to the web site that I listed for KSD Direct - scroll to about the bottom and find the Rustoleum PN 209716 - it is ACTUALLY AC Orange!
[img]/club2/attach/RipRat/CIMG3321small.jpg[/img]
The color match is great and I'm so far very happy. I stripping my parts to the bare metal, and priming them with the Rustoleum industrial primer (available at Home Depot, etc.) Let the Primer dry for 48 hours then apply first coat of paint. VERY important - wait AT LEAST 48 hours to put a second coat on or the paint will crinkle. If you wait 48 hours (I wait until I can't smell the paint - about 4 days) the second coat looks fantastic. This is true for both the orange and the Almond - which BTY is a perfect color match. - and available at Home Depot too. AC Orange - 209716 Almond - 7570 Hope this helps!