Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kent

Interesting product

Kent
Someone else pointed this out on another forum, and I thought it might be of interest here... Same principle as "spiked shoes" -- i.e. aearate while mowing. http://www.gailcoinnovations.com/featured.htm

TomSchmit
Simple "spikes" do a poor job of aeration. The only way to get any real benefit is from core aeration, even though it does leave the ugly cores on the turf surface for a week or so.

Kent
Hey, now they can do lawnmower racing on frozen lakes like they do with cars and motorcycles... :O [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/Motorcycly_speedway_on_ice.jpg[/img]

stevenj
That would tear up the back of your leg on a FDT if your leg dropped off the foot rests. That is of course if it doesn't grab your pants leg first and try to pull your leg under the tractor. In this day and age of litigation, I wonder how long it will be before they are sued. This product is not going to last long.

Kenh
Agree..... simple spikes are at best a temp solution. The will create a hard pan with time. I you know what a "sheep's foot" is, and know what it is used for, the spikes do the same thing. Aeration should pull a plug or cut a slit in the ground. The key is to remove some soil and deposit it on the surface of the ground.

Ketchamized
Phil, I thought the same thing. I also wondered about the damage it would do to asphalt driveways. Most people park their tractors in their garages... If I could be assured that it'd not damage the asphalt, and that it would not bend/break/dull so quickly I'd definitely be a customer.

quantico
My epoxy floor in my garage says NO THANKS..... they look like yet another thing in the garage to cut me up trying to get thru the tractors and decks and snowblowers and parts... to the rear of the garage to find some needed tool...

Boney
I give them credit for creating the product but I believe it would hit my deck on my 725. I gave airating a lot of thought { I am a New Englander "cheap"} before buying a plugger and so far the only disadvantage that I have come accross with a plugger is that the ground must be wet {soft} for it to work properly.

jdm
It looks like it might be designed to do a little tearing as it comes out of the ground. Might be better than just a spike. I'm sure they don't expect you to take off down the driveway or wheel into your garage with them on, or carelessly dangle your feet when using them.

skunkhome
quote:
Originally posted by jdm
It looks like it might be designed to do a little tearing as it comes out of the ground. Might be better than just a spike. I'm sure they don't expect you to take off down the driveway or wheel into your garage with them on, or carelessly dangle your feet when using them.
how many products are actually used in the manner the manufacturer intends. That is why they have to put labels on hair dryers warning of using them in the tub or shower. If it can be used improperly then it most definitely will.

Art_Szabo
You could use them in the garden for traction. Or pushing snow in a slick driveway. I can't see ya doing a lot spinning with them. Or you could just aerate your lawn with them, Art