Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
cahickm2

vickers overhaul

cahickm2
I am in the process of overhauling the vickers hydro unit from my 3212h. The pump housin needs bored and rebushed due to leaking. I called Dave at Central Hydrualics and he told me to use brass bushings. I am a bit confused as to why using brass is recommened. Brass is soft, and seems to me that It would wear from the O rings on the pintle shafts just as easy as the cast iron wore. Can someone help me understand? Also, what should I use to flush the pump out with after assembly?

Ketchamized
Corey, I once had a 3210H, nice tractor. Anyway, the logic with the brass bushing was, you could easily replace the bushings as they wore out over the years- rather than replace the whole thing. I recall that it was very expensive to have that fixed or replaced. In the end, I just opted to get a very fat "o" ring and place it on the very end of the pintle shaft and bored out a set collar and compressed the "o" ring against the pintle hole and it compressed the shaft very well. Put set collar in place and bolted it tight. It never leaked again. I only ran it 2 months before I sold the tractor, though. Before I put the "O" ring on, I greased the shaft to prevent the "o" ring from getting burned out. Brenda at that place in Pennsylvania is extremely helpful and would be able to sell you the needed bushings, I believe. (I can't remember the name of this place, but it is mentioned very often here. Great people for sure, great service.)

mendon-chalmers
HI IM doing mine now thru a local machine shop I used to work at I just got the housing & pintle shafts back yesterday we used steel bushings I needed shafts to using 3/4 hardened drill-rod ground down to size the bushings are just leaded or cold rolled so they can be replaced if need to be but if it last 30 years (hopefully) I may need not to worry about it. $150 for all the shafts no longer available that's why I had all done local & together for good fits. very important to line bore & hone to fit. the more mirror like finish the better. BRENDA is at SANDYLAKE IMP. in PA. advertised on home page, very nice & polite bought all other parts there O-rings filter bearing & seal. you can trade in housing there for one that has bushings in but don't know if line bored & honed.

Ketchamized
Corey, That's it, Brenda at Sandy Lake Implements. I must have CRS... It's pretty expensive- around that $150-$200 to give them your old pintle shaft housing and they send you a rebuilt one. Other places offer the same service, but Sandy Lake is the cheapest.