Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
cruzer

R4 (industrial) Tires

cruzer
Anybody use them? I am going to be in need of new tires at some point. Tractor came with what look like origonal turf tires that are beat, dry rotted, and one has a plug in the side wall. My main goal is to use the tractor to plow my driveway and sidewalks. Second I want to rebuild the 48in deck i got with the tractor (or find a good used 42/48in to use) to mow my yard. With this in mind and being that $$ is tight i am thinking that 1 set of tires to do everything would be nice. Father had an old sears tractor with turf tires and chains (not filled) that he used to plow with. Worked OK but not great. I got chains with my tires so certainly can run chains/turfs/liquid with weight on the back/tires and be ahead of what Dad was doing but it would be nice not to have chains for the sidewalks/walk ways so they don't get beat up. Stew

Bunky
1st Welcome to the Club... I have thought about these types myself, My Brother has these tires on his Kubota and he mows plows and uses it in the woods seem to work good and doesn't seem to damage the lawn..

Kent
IMO, you'll find that R-4s don't give you the traction that R-1 Ag lugs will provide, though they do provide more traction than turfs... R-4s typically are used on machines that weigh 2-10 times (or more) as much as these garden tractors, and the weight is a major factor in their traction. R-4s will simply not clean themselves of snow or mud the way that R-1s will, because their lugs don't flex... so, you can end up with a big "slick" and no traction....