Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MarksA-C

707 Restoration Part 2 , Part 3 coming soon...

Ketchamized
Mark, For the steering wheel, maybe you can use a Rust/Calcium/Lime remover to make it look like new? You can find these in auto stores, or in home depot/home depot style stores. I'm surprised you're not touching up the transmission, since you've gone all the trouble to make the front end beautiful. Wow, man, you did really great. Looks sharp. :)

ibelee
quote:
Originally posted by MarksA-C
All I used is a rinsing of WD40, a fine steel wool and Chrome Polish. And for the bolts that hold the bumper I used some Rustoleum Metallic Silver/Chrome. Blends in Nicely.
A rinsing of WD40? What does that do? What kind of chrome polish? What was the number on the steel wool? Sorry for all the questions, I'm getting ready to do my chrome and I'm still learning.

MarksA-C
I started to take apart the engine for the 707. Its the 8hp from the parts 738 I have. Seems ok from the outside. A little dirty but overall its good.

Parts engine that came with the 707

Carb is "ok", a little dirt

Needles good, no pitting or scratches. Still has a nice point to it.

Carb Bowl is Dirty!

Painting the the engine tins for a nice clean look.

TimJr
Looks nice! I have a question - do you know for sure if the steering wheel is original to that tractor? What is the serial number? Do you have the original engine numbers yet - specifically the date code? All of my 707's and all of the others I have seen had black steering wheels. The older 6hp Broadmoors with the black dash are the ones I have seen the white steering wheel on. Maybe another Simplicity mystery here with model year transitions. Thanks, Tim

MarksA-C
I need to ask a quick question.... Is the paint on a tractor supossed to shine? Because I want to add clear coat on the hood and seat pan do make it a bit more durable and give it a nice shine. Anyhow.... Hood looks good, engine is almost ready to test fire (Pull start) and the tractor over all is looking great! Engine look 100x better with the painted parts

The carb is all clean, new gaskets too.

Hood turned out great!

ibelee
Hey Mark, Been paying special attention to your restoration since my 700 is up next. Thanks for the pics of your progress. Are you just taping off your B&S Emblems or are you getting new ones? I am only applying the clear coat on my B-112 because that is what we do on our trucks and equipment. Would love to hear what others think.

MarksA-C
I got alot done yesterday, engine is almost done. I only have 1 engine pulley though. The ones on the parts engine are Stuck....Really Stuck. Even heat didn't work. ' Here is the test of Clear Coat...On the old 717 hood. Left Clear coat, right not clear coat.

Painting the hood stripe...

Grill attached

Lift arm...

Heat shield off the engine, was starting to rust.

The stripe, looks good to me...

Decal tape for the small lines.

More chrome to clean.

A bunch n engine pictures...

Also Tim (BroadmoorMan), I found out why the one engine blew... It has to do with this...

Sheered flywheel key.

ibelee
All I can say is unbeleivable! That really looks great! I hope mine turns out 1/2 that good. The pic didn't show the clear coat real well. How did you like it? Was it worth the time and money?

MarksA-C
Its getting really close now. I am running int a snag though.... Can anyone see the problem?

Seat pan all painted and Clear coated.

Hood Shines...

nice Glow in the Sun

Added Chrome door edging on the seat pan. $2.40 a pack of two at Walmart.

Still see the problem? I do...

Looks good from here.

Hood still shines...