Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"Stump pullin"

skunkhome

Well, its not exactly stump pullin... but they were some big ole roots. I have some wonderful Ash trees in my front yard that I planted about 25 years ago to give us some shade and relief from those horrible summer time utility bills. I must say they really have helped with that afternoon sun as Our utility bills are as low as they have ever been in the 30 years we have lived here despite the cost of energy these days. That should qualify us for some "carbon credits". Now the rub is that one of the trees has had some very large roots running near the surface that are threatening our house slab and have already started cracking and lifting the driveway. I tried digging them out a couple of years ago but there is such a mass of roots it is back breaking work. Well, I pretty much gave up until I got my "New" 3414S Simplicity. Now I just dig out around the area I need to cut. Make a cut at each end then use my handy-dandy root ripper

and my powerful ole Simplicity;

find a place where I can get some traction like my concrete drive; drop the ole girl in 3rd gear and let it rip. The old roots I was afraid to tackle pop out like radishes. And it is so much more fun than digging and chopping.

quote:
Originally posted by lndscpr
hey i have one of those root pullers on my starcraft powered by a 25 hp johnson.
My son found my stump extractor while we were swimming on a submerged off shore sand bar in Lake Marapas about 10-12 years ago. Luckly the flukes were buried in the sand and were not exposed for him to step on.

quote:
Originally posted by EricD
That's one nice wheelhorse seat on that there stump puller yanker machine. Big roots too boot.
It does look pretty good but the there is a big ugly weld holding the backrest to the seat pan. It also is not very soft. Really pretty bone jarring. Of course I remember as a kid feeling like I was a couple of inches shorter after riding on the B-10 all day.

Cool plan for pulling roots Phil. I will second the notion it's a lot more fun doing it with one of these tractors then by hand. Wish I had had one 20 som3e years ago when I started this place.

I have noticed, since I started messing with tractors that what I do with the boat is mainly move it around with a tractor to get it out of the way of what I am planning to do with the tractors. At least there is some use left for the boat. I can get the anchor out and use it as an implement. Great idea.

A boat anchor lol i like that idea i have one hanging around in my garage id like to try that and see how it does

I don't know about that. If any of the connections for that rig broke loose, you can wind up with a crack on the back of your skull.