Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Scratch Built Front Loader

olcowhand

JoeJ said I oughta post some of the loader I built & tractor I modified. Below are some pics of my Massey 1650. I modified it to use an MF14 hood, grille, & dash because I just like the older style better. Cut & dropped frame to line up crank for a 20hp Onan repower. Also added power steering by using an orbital steering valve, powered by the hydro. Used hydro to power so I don't hafta run the pto clutch powered hydraulic pump all the time. Rear tires (upgraded to 26x12x12's)fluid filled & cast weights that all add up to 300lb extra rear weight. The FEL I built completely from scratch. Pump is off a Case 446, valves off a MF1650, & cylinders off a NHolland round baler, cut & shortened. The entire loader upright(under & up both sides) assembly serves as oil tank. I built the loader for cleaning my 4x8' calf stalls & she works pretty good. I would like to later modify the loader to double tilt cylinders & auto leveling arms, but may never get around to that.
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/MF1650%20Modified/Finished2050007.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/MF1650%20Modified/Kaylin005.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/MF1650%20Modified/Finished2050014.jpg[/img]
Here she is all done at our local show
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/MF1650%20Modified/Finished2050006.jpg[/img]

Looks nice. Need more pics of your power steering. Where do you have the ram mounted? I gotta get power steering on my 7119.

quote:
Originally posted by richp
Looks nice. Need more pics of your power steering. Where do you have the ram mounted? I gotta get power steering on my 7119.
I'll get some more pics of steering for you asap.

Dan--I'm also interested in seeing more of your power steering setup. I would like to retro my 720 and see that Surplus Center has a cylinder designed for power steering. [url][/url]http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007071615084686&item=9-6847&catname= Looks like this could be used the way some tractors are set up with power steering--with the cylinder mounted between the front wheels with a short tie rod on each wheel attached to it's respective cylinder rod end. The cylinder mounting would, of course, need to pivot with the front axle. One thing I'm curious about is the use of double rod vs single rod cylinders. Looks like a conventional single rod cylinder would turn faster in one direction than the other because of the area differential on the two sides of the piston. Perhaps if the rod diameter is small enough in relation to the bore diameter, then this is a non-issue? Would like to hear some comments. Thanks Nelson

On my 7119, I was thinking of removing the steering arm (drag link) and hooking one end of a hydraulic cylinder to where the steering arm bolts and welding a bracket to the frame just ahead of the running board for the other end of the cylinder. This way it would be out of the way of attachments.

Haven't had time to take pics, but I have my cylinder behind the axle beam in parallel. I have a swivel mount on cylinder so it can pitch with the axle. The end of shaft connects to one arm on left spindle & tie rod is in front. I determined center of stroke then mounted so it would steer equal amounts both directions. I'm not happy with my turning radious though & will be changing things to get more steering angle. Geometry in steering is HARD to get right. I upgraded to 1" spindles by using JD214 spindles & reamed out my beam to fit. I may end up with the cylinder outboard the frame. My cylinder is just a deck lift cylinder off the MF1650 as I won't be using the deck anyway. I made a new end cap for the cylinder on my lathe that would accept the screw-in eye swivel. Tried to get by as cheap as possible. The entire tractor plus loader only set me back about $1300 head to toe. The orbital steering valve picks up it's fluid AFTER the MF's lift valves. If put inbetween the pressure might blow out the orbital's seals when the lift bottomed or topped out. As it is, when they top or bottom, I lose steering for just a split second, which doesn't really affect anything enough to matter. I'll still get pics soon as I can. In the show pic above, it doesn't have the 1" axle upgrade. I now have ag tires on front to give better steering in the soft stuff. My investment includes the axle upgrade too. Edited to add: I forgot to mention, this total also includes a 42" tiller. This tractor has 3pt lift & rear power take-off.

If only I have the $$$ and the skills to weld... A loader on the 6518 would be SO cool...

Thanks for the compliments. It took more than 8 months to finish. Here's the rear showing power take-off & 3pt lift.
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/MF1650%20Modified/X-mas063.jpg[/img]

CLast pictures I saw, it was NO WHERE near that clean:D. ;)I think it was a "mucking out stalls" pic.:D:D:D

Sharp looking Massey. Reminds me of the old MF16 I have sitting in the shed needing a motor.

Very sharp looking tractordOd It looks like a real work horse too. Thanks for posting the pics.:D

Nelson, if your really interested in P/S on your powermax take a look at this. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=45638&SearchTerms=power%2Bsteering I've had it on for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems so far. I'll never go back to one without it. I also used a 5 port valve so it's plumbed in before the lift valves so the back pressure isn't an issue and I never loose my steering as it's always first.

Dave, your setup is basically like mine. My orbital steering valve looks similar to yours except mine is directly under dash & has a short 2" column bolted to it for steering wheel to attach & has ports off it's side. I also ran off my charge/lift pump. Have you moved your cylinder? Mine is inline with axle beam, but I plan to mount on frame as your pics show. In my case it will work better out there on frame than under.

Dave and Dan--Way cool, guys!!!!! What is the 5th port for on the Orbitrol? A case drain, perhaps? Do you guys think the SurplusCenter steering cylinder (URL above) would be feasible to mount centered between the wheels on a Powermax? I definitely want to do PS on my 720 as it would sure improve handling with the loader on. We built special purpose trucks back in the 70's for hauling hay bales which used Charlyn steering powered by the pump off of a six cylinder Ford engine. The PS came off of a priority flow divider that ensured a constant flow ahead of the other hydraulic functions on the machine regardless of engine rpm. Nelson

Nelson, D17Dave's 5 port has a built in priority system whereas my 4 port does not. The 5 port is much better so if you or anyone else does this, go with a 5 port. They were going very high on ebay so I opted for the 4 port since I was strapped at the time. As wide as the Powermax is, I'm sure the cylinder could be mounted parallel to axle beam. With a loader, you'll NEVER regret adding power steering!

quote:
Originally posted by npalen
That's interesting, Dan. So the 5th port serves as a power-beyond?
I've never used a 5 port as our farm tractors all use priority valves, but I'm pretty sure that is how the 5 port work.

What would you guys think of mounting an orbitrol valve to drive off the spline where the steering box exits the chassis? (Trying to look for the "easy way out") I realize that this output rotates much much slower than the steering wheel but that may not be such a bad thing. I'm thinking that most of the surplus orbitrol units are higher displacement than what would normally be used on a compact tractor. Anyone have a number breakdown for the Danfoss or Charlyn orbitrol that gives the displacement? All comments appreciated. Nelson

The 5th port is exactly a power beyond port. The steering cyl. you have seen at surplus center is way too big for your use on a powermax. I tried it. I plan on going with that style cyl. at some point but I haven't taken time to hunt a small enough cyl. as of yet. The valve I have is mounted where the gearbox used to be. The smaller valves are made for the pressures and flow rates of these smaller tractors so they don't need to be reduced in speed. They need a 1/1 ratio off the steering wheel to give you any response while moving up to speed. Since I had this cyl. so it was a simple fit to place it where the drag link was to expedite the installation of the P/S and get to using the tractor. My main concern was to see my creativity in use with the way I mounted the valve and routed the hoses. This way I would have time to check for movement of my linkages and test the hoses for stress and leaks. I haven't touched it since cept to route the outside hoses below the cyl. and add a couple of 90's so it looks a little smoother. I'm very pleased with the results. O, did I say that already.;)8D All kidding aside, This took the least amount of frame mods. in any add on setup I've seen so far. I am working on a different style setup using the power assist steering system like they use on the newer Prestige P/S systems. This would give it a completely factory look with the gearbox and drag link left in place. It has been a slow process with a lot of dash modifications to retro in but I think it will work well. I still like my original design for the simplicity in which it works. I'll post some pics of the other way as soon as I can get a finished mock up.