Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigcountry

It's been a while...

bigcountry
Well I guess its been right at 2 years or so since I was last around here, just got busy with school and all and just never had much spare time to tinker. I picked up a couple Simpy's yesterday, which I'll share a bit later in this post. In my tractoring ventures I've had several come and go since I last left contact. My '65 AC Big 10 got traded for a '74 CC 149 which was eventually sold. My '69 JD 140 got sold in favor of a '77 JD 300, which I had the engine rebuilt and cleaned it up and in the meantime I picked up a '79 JD 210 last spring. I bought a couple of '81 Ford 165's which got sold pretty fast and then bought a '74 Ford 125 and sold it pretty soon as well. I bought a good looking but sad running '83 Case 222 which I hope to get the engine rebuilt in pretty soon. Friday I picked up a '86 Simp. 5216 w/42 deck in Clayton which runs great and only needed a couple of repairs to get right, just a bad ground connection and a leaky tire, but considering the price I paid, it wasn't bad at all. Yesterday I drove to Winston-Salem and picked up a '84 Simp. 6116 which I think I got a heck of a deal on considering its appearance and running condition. It's only bugs were a cracked gas tank and getting the blades to stop turning when the PTO is off. So I guess now that brings me to a couple of questions that have come to mind that probably are pretty easy to answer here. 1. What kind of transmission is in the 6116 and what makes it different from the 6216? I was offered a 6216 for $600 earlier this week but I got a much much better deal on the 6116 and I couldn't tell much of a difference other than maybe a variable speed? 2. I'm pretty keen on knowing when a bearing is going bad but how loud is too loud on the deck? It's not hollering or squealing but it does have a lot of rotating noise that I would think is a set of bearings about to go out. I am going to try and pump them up with grease tonight because I am taking it (the 6116) with me to where I am living now to mow and get a few yards to cut with it. Thanks.

Chris727
Congrats on the new Simplicitys. Sorry I can't help you on the transmission but if you think your deck is too loud, check your idler pulleys too, maybe one of them has a bad bearing, greasing the arbors won't help much since the bearings are sealed anyway. If you remove the deck, take the arbor drive belt off and spin each arbor, check for smoothness. If its too rough or feels like they are dry, you probably need to replace the bearings.