Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

More traction

acken

Before, standard 23-10.5x12 Carlisle, still some tread, but stiff

Drilled out plug welds from donor rims, welded into blank 10.5x12's from Miller tire. 24-12x12 Carlisle Turf Master's

Left pic, mounted on 10.5" wide rims. Right pic, mounted on 9" wide rims. These would have worked fine, but I didn't like the offset.

After, have not filled with washer fluid yet. Will wait and see if needed. These are on AC 920 Dsl.

Nice job! Looks like a drag racing car from the back! The windshield washer loading works well, did it a few weeks ago to mine.

I like your traction Paul. But you can just barely see a mower deck on mine. I think those ags might be a bit aggressive.

More traction? I thought the wider the tire meant the less traction or less pounds per square inch put on the ground. This is why the 3 wheel AG sprayers have the big/wide tires and our Golf Greens mowers have the widest tire so not to make marks on the turf. The wider tire does look nice on that tractor and it should help with not making ruts in your yard like the narrower tire probably did. If you were looking for the traction I would have gone with the Ag tires like Paul did, If you were trying to get away from making marks, helping with stability or from ruts in your yard you did the right move.

quote:
Originally posted by KSever
More traction? I thought the wider the tire meant the less traction or less pounds per square inch put on the ground. This is why the 3 wheel AG sprayers have the big/wide tires and our Golf Greens mowers have the widest tire so not to make marks on the turf. The wider tire does look nice on that tractor and it should help with not making ruts in your yard like the narrower tire probably did. If you were looking for the traction I would have gone with the Ag tires like Paul did, If you were trying to get away from making marks, helping with stability or from ruts in your yard you did the right move.
This is true. Wider tires or larger diameter tires spread the weight out over a larger area. That results in more flotation, but less traction. I use 23 X 10.50 X 12 ag tires filled with washer fluid on my 917 (which is also my snowblower tractor). My B-110 is used mainly for garden work. I have 23 X 8.50 X 12 ag tires with washer fluid AND weights on that one. The 917 is a steady mower machine, and the B-110 is used for mowing occasionally. Neither tear up the lawn when run within reason and I'm never at a loss for traction.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Ken, "welded into blank 10.5x12's from Miller tire." Just curious, how much were the blank rims? Thanks,
I'd be interested in knowing also. I found these at Tucker Tire -- http://cgi.ebay.com/1-orange-12x10-5-rims-for-ditch-witch-case-other-trench_W0QQitemZ330114007511QQihZ014QQcategoryZ41485QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I'm not sure if the description is correct, but I haven't inquired. It doesn't seem to match the picture shown. He does have 10.50 tractor wheels, because he offers them with 26x12x12 tires mounted. Here he describes them as 5x4.5 pattern: http://cgi.ebay.com/26-12-00x12-DITCH-WITCH-TRENCHER-TIRES-wheels_W0QQitemZ330023920255QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1467QQcmdZViewItem

Acken, I did the same with my Allis 416h. But I just rewelded my original centers back in as I ground the weld off from rim side. My centers just needed to be flipped to change offset, so welds were in same place as oe. I have 24x12x12's too. I had 23x10.50 ags on it, but when it did spin it plowed the yard, so I went with wide turfs.
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/Allis%20416H%20Project/DSC00051.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/Allis%20416H%20Project/DSC00057.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/Allis%20416H%20Project/DSC00020-1.jpg[/img]

Here's a similar one on ebay at around $20 right now, but not as high quality as one I bought. When I bought mine the guy had 3 more. If I'da had the cash I'd have bought them all! [url] http://cgi.ebay.com/HUSTLER-MOWER-SEAT_W0QQitemZ230153122393QQihZ013QQcategoryZ50377QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Ok I'm sure that I know the answer to this but whats the reason for the washer fluid? Other that the obvious, weight that won't freeze maybe?

quote:
Originally posted by jimcadigan
Other that the obvious, weight that won't freeze maybe?
You got it -- inexpensive, non-toxic, non-corrosive weight...

Blank rims were not on website. I had a paper catalog from last year that showed them, were not in this years catalog. $45.00 each plus shipping. I have ags on some of my other tractors, but would not like to mow with them. I did some mowing last night, and will probably put washer fluid in them, with the diesel so heavy on the front.

quote:
Originally posted by acken
Blank rims were not on website. I had a paper catalog from last year that showed them, were not in this years catalog. $45.00 each plus shipping. I have ags on some of my other tractors, but would not like to mow with them. I did some mowing last night, and will probably put washer fluid in them, with the diesel so heavy on the front.
DIESEL......you got diesel power in that Case? Wish I could find a decent diesel engine to stuff into one of my tractors!

Factory diesel in 920 Allis Chalmers. Careful, I might take offense at that "Case" comment.:)

quote:
Originally posted by acken
Factory diesel in 920 Allis Chalmers. Careful, I might take offense at that "Case" comment.:)
Sorry bout that! Knew it was an Allis rear, but couldn't make out the decal on rear of fender. Thought it said Case, but see now it says "Cast Iron". My bad!:D

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld

[img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/ll26seat4.JPG[/img]
Here is my Landlord with 26x12x12
All you need now is a big chain to pull that Ford down the road !! :O:D:D:D

quote:
Originally posted by FastPaul
quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld

Here is my Landlord with 26x12x12
All you need now is a big chain to pull that Ford down the road !! :O:D:D:D
Will you leave my poor Ford alone!:D