Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite T-16 question

BrianL

There's a Homelite T-16 on ebay, near me, with a broken axle tube. (There's a link to it in the Club's EBAY & Other ads page). Questions: 1) I have a Simplicity Landlord 3410 3spd. Will rear axle/transmission swap OK? (My mower deck disintegrated beyond repair, and the 10hp is a little tired though it still runs EVERY time, and it doesn't charge, and....) The Homelite has a RIGHT hand discharge mower, something I've never seen on this vintage Sim Landlord/Sovereign garden tractor or similar Alls. How much parts compatibility is there to my Landlord??? Is the deck the same, just reverse pitch blades??? The right hand deck really surprised me; based on the Homelite brochure posted on this site, I expected left hand just like my 3410. 2) Any opinions on what the T-16 is worth as it sits? OR - 3) anyone have a 42" deck to spare?? Thanks, Brian L

The homelite uses the deck like the 300-400s it is not as deep, and is driven off the front of the tractor, that makes it turn the oppisite direction.

quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
The homelite uses the deck like the 300-400s it is not as deep, and is driven off the front of the tractor, that makes it turn the oppisite direction.
Thanks Levi. Guess mine wouldn't work for him then.

That Homelite with a right discharge deck was built by Allis Chalmers not Simplicity. A simplicity built Homelite will have a left discharge deck. The Allis Chalmers built Homelites are like the Allis Chalmers 300 & 400 series. A product of the Gov. antitrust laws in effect in the early 70's not many interchangeable parts out side of engine, BGB, & Transmission/rear end.

I don't know much about these, but..... the original questions was whether a rear axle/tranny swap with the 3410 would work. UCD's (Maynard) answer seems to imply that it would work! Is that what you think, Maynard?

quote:
Originally posted by TomSchmit
I don't know much about these, but..... the original questions was whether a rear axle/tranny swap with the 3410 would work. UCD's (Maynard) answer seems to imply that it would work! Is that what you think, Maynard?
If the Homelite is the 6 Speed Gear Drive or the 4 speed Shuttle Manual transmissions one should be able to bolt a 3 speed rear end into it. You would be stuck using the old differential as the newer one wont swap I dont think. The transmoission castings for the gear drives are pretty close from one to another. I doid this sort of swap on something a long while back and I dont really remember the little things I had to modify, but I tthink I had to lengthen the shift control rod or something like that. No promises though.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
That Homelite with a right discharge deck was built by Allis Chalmers not Simplicity. A simplicity built Homelite will have a left discharge deck. The Allis Chalmers built Homelites are like the Allis Chalmers 300 & 400 series. A product of the Gov. antitrust laws in effect in the early 70's not many interchangeable parts out side of engine, BGB, & Transmission/rear end.
UCD, If that is the T-16 I saw earlier this week, you are right, that it is a Allis. I wrote to the seller and asked him to change the description as he was calling it a Simplicity. I guess he ignored my e-mail.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianL
There's a Homelite T-16 on ebay, near me, with a broken axle tube. (There's a link to it in the Club's EBAY & Other ads page). Questions: 1) I have a Simplicity Landlord 3410 3spd. Will rear axle/transmission swap OK? (My mower deck disintegrated beyond repair, and the 10hp is a little tired though it still runs EVERY time, and it doesn't charge, and....) The Homelite has a RIGHT hand discharge mower, something I've never seen on this vintage Sim Landlord/Sovereign garden tractor or similar Alls. How much parts compatibility is there to my Landlord??? Is the deck the same, just reverse pitch blades??? The right hand deck really surprised me; based on the Homelite brochure posted on this site, I expected left hand just like my 3410. 2) Any opinions on what the T-16 is worth as it sits? OR - 3) anyone have a 42" deck to spare?? Thanks, Brian L
Brian, I would imagine the Allis T-16 is relatively scarce. I'd love to have one if it were a bit closer to home. Allis doesn't have a huge history of making tractors branded under foreign names having little resemblance to concurrent Allis models. It looks more like a Simplicity but is functionally close akin to the Allis 300 & 400 series. The broken axle should scare off most and you may be able to pick up on opening bid. I certainly would thinK it would be worth that with a running 16 HP Briggs. and a PTO powered AC generator to boot.

Thanks as always for the FANTASTIC expertise and willingness to help from the folks on this forum!! I joined before back when I GOT the 3410 - about 10 years ago?? It's been running so well so long I hadn't noticed my membership long lapsed. But thanks!! It sounds probable but not certain that some combination of axle, transmission, and/or everything rear of the bevel gear box would swap with my 3410 if I really want a project. And according to ebay that one's less than 50 miles from me. (I'm in northeastern MD.) If it goes cheap enough I might try it. Otherwise I'm still in the market for a Simplicity deck for the 3410. I'd prefer a 42" 'cause it fits inside my 48" utility trailer, but would consider a 48". THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!

Don't know if they would work on your tractor but I have 2 42" mower decks off Model 712 Allis,also have a 48" deck off a 3212 Simplicity $125 each in central Virginia 434 978 4944

A few years ago, I replaced the shuttle transaxle on an Allis built T-16 with the straight, three speed transaxle from a 710 Allis. That should be the identical transaxle that's in your 3410 3 speed. It was a bolt in transplant. Nothing had to be changed other than to remove the shuttle linkage from the Homelite. A short time later, the owner brought it back as he wanted a lower speed for tilling. I was going to install an 8" pulley on the transaxle, and I acquired a 712 6-speed parts machine. I swapped out the standard pulley for the six speed pulley's and shift linkage. Seems to me the only problem there was the angle of the high-low shift lever. I know I ground the welding off of the shift lever pivot, rotated it slightly and rewelded it, but I can't recall if I used the 712 shift lever or the T-16 shuttle lever. As to parts compatibility between the Allis built Homelite and the 3410, most of the mechanical components will interchange. Cosmetics, steering, front axle, and frame will not interchange. As to attachments, all attachments (with the exception of the mower deck), will interchange, but the hitch portion has to come from the appropriate tractor. The decks on the Homelite will interchange with the Allis 300 and 400 series, but again you'll need the hitch for the appropriate tractor.