Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

48" Deck Restoration...finally done!

Gary

This is the 48" deck I bought a couple of months ago. I got it and a 42" snow blower for $200.00. The deck was black (Deutz), faded, and needing some TLC. I stripped it down and took it to the local Sand Blaster. The local harware had Rustoleum Allis Chalmers Orange, so the rattle cans got the nod. I have about 4 coats of the Allis Orange on (sanded in between each coat). It cured for 21 days. I used a polishing compound to make it smooth, and waxed the shell before bolting on any parts. I'm not much of a painter...but I'm happy with it:D
[img]/club2/attach/Gary/48Deck1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Gary/48Deck2.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Gary/48Deck3.jpg[/img]
The bottom of the shell has been painted with "Duraliner", a truck bed liner product. It was painted onto the bare metal. Hopefully, it will not flake off (stuff is as hard as a brick). I even painted the area under the deck covers with Duraliner (that's why it looks so rough). I disassembled, cleaned, sand blasted and painted the deck spindles. The bearings are in good condition, so I didn't change them (probably regret that later). The deck covers have cured long enough to polish and wax.
[img]/club2/attach/Gary/48DeckSpndl1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Gary/48DeckSpndl2.jpg[/img]
Finally getting close to full assembly:) I'll probably hate to use it when I'm done;) I'll be starting on the 917H when I get this project wrapped up.

Looks good. 21 Days? You are a patient man. My ADHD would have kicked in and I would have started 5 other projects.

quote:
Originally posted by 4xbill
Looks good. 21 Days? You are a patient man. My ADHD would have kicked in and I would have started 5 other projects.
I sometimes have trouble keeping grass from sticking before paint has time to cure! :D

Not much of a painter?? But I'm happy with it?? I'd be a lot happier if it was sitting in my garage!!!! Looks great !!sm01

Now that is a first class restoration, like others have said I would have aerosol overhauled, assembled, and be running in one day. That is why some of my stuff is half-fast, I applaude your patience, and hats off to your work.

I notice how you painstakingly removed and even replaced nuts and bolts. Nothing looks painted over, everything looks factory new. My wife would probably not allow it, but I would hang that deck on my living room wall.

• 3 weeks later...
Finally got this wrapped up. I'm not fast...but I'll get it done eventually. Paint came out better than I had hoped. Polish and wax really made her shine.
[img]/club2/attach/Gary/48Deck10.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Gary/48Deck11.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Gary/48Deck12.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Gary/48Deck13.jpg[/img]
I got some bronze bushings from the local hardware. Installed them in each roller. Also put 2 bushings in the deck height arm. Never did like how one end was welded to an arm, and the other just flopped around. I used stop collars with set screws, to hold everything in place. I won't be using this deck until next year. I want to get my 917H cleaned up and painted yet this fall. I'll break them in together next spring.

Another good product to paint the bottom is called POR-15 It is as tough as bed liner but dries smooth as glass to grass will not stick to it as much.