Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I widened my rims

B-16_IC

Back in May I posted in Talking Tractors asking how some used ags I had bought would work and HubbardRA suggested widening rims (thank you Rod for waking me up!). Well I did it, I did not take any during photos because I did the cutting and welding at work. I used some rims I had floating around from some auction years ago. Here is one rim done with what was left of the rims I used for parts. I cut one set two inches in from the outer bead and one right at the bead and welded the longer bead to the one I cut at the bead.

I figured if 8.50's look good on 7", then 10.50's should look good on 9". Here they are painted and mounted up on my old Sears S-12 chassis.

I did not try to hide the weld, they are for hard use not show.

I really have to get the Bee moving along so they can be on a REAL tractor! Thanks all!

Yes Roy I am running tubes, I was scared of porosity in the welds leaking. I cut the rims on our tire machine at work, it held them stable while I cut a slit with a cutoff wheel then did most of it with a sawzall. JP, I have to give most of the credit to the big Millermatic!

Looks real clean Rich. The rims look good on the Sears. I own a couple and besides being careful not to suddenly load the transaxle (so not to snap teeth) they are really tough and reliable machines. Suburbans should never be confused with the modern Craftsman line of lawn mowers. Heres some pics of Sears I've had w/loaders. The last photo is the only one I still have. I'd love to put a set of your rims tires on this one.

Good job Rich. Made a couple sets myself. Used tubes on mine. My welding is not as uniform as yours. They are good structural welds, but not pretty.

Thanks guys! Hey Eric, I'll trade ya my wheels and tires for one of those loaders!&:) Three garden tractor loaders of any kind makes a lucky man!

Rod, How successfull is that puller? With all that rubber and weight it's gotta be a goer!^

I bought the 61 Wards back in the early 1980s, specifically to use as a puller. I didn't even know what a Simplicity was at that time. I just liked the looks of the old tractor when I saw it. I ran it for several years, then I turned it over to my oldest son, then my wife ran it a few times, then my youngest son pulled with it. This tractor is part of the family, but it has earned it's share of trophies in the 20+ years that it was involved in pulling. It, like myself, is retired. It has not participated at a tractor pull in about 4 years. I haven't removed the weight racks and reinstalled the PTO because we still use it to pull things, like logs and telephone poles. It isn't used much anymore, but sometimes it is called on to earn its keep. Here is the full picture of the tractor that the tire picture was taken from. It was at a pull and the tractor was weighed up and awaiting the class to start. My youngest son was driving it at the time. The picture was taken by a friend and the colors got messed up in downsizing the file. The tractor is painted black and maroon. In that picture it has a 12 Hp Kohler under the hood:

I like to here that it is enjoying a happy retirement with you!^ I did not know diddly about these beasts before taking my B-12's home either. Now I look everywhere for them, it used to be trucks and cars. These are cheaper and more usefull!

quote:
Originally posted by B-16_IC
Yes Roy I am running tubes, I was scared of porosity in the welds leaking. I cut the rims on our tire machine at work, it held them stable while I cut a slit with a cutoff wheel then did most of it with a sawzall. JP, I have to give most of the credit to the big Millermatic!
Whenever I weld on rims, I put a thin layer of JB Weld over the weld in case of pinholes. Never had a leaker yet this way.

olcowhand, thanks for the tip! I was thinking of putting some kind of caulking over them, but the JB is a much smarter sounding idea. I will definitely remember that for the next time, and this will happen again! :D

I put a coating of RTV over the weld to prevent puncturing the tube on the weld. It eliminates the need of grinding of the welds.