Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Joystick Hydrostat and Power Steering

npalen

We were discussing power steering retrofits over in "Show and Tell" under the discussion "Scratch Built Front Loader" and got to wondering if anyone has ever tried using a joystick valve for hydrostat forward/reverse and steering left/right. I do realize that the first choice in a PS retro is to keep everything as near to stock looking as possible. But...... Looks like a small cylinder on the steering tie rod as well as one on the hydrostat control with both connected to a joystick valve mounted in a convenient location would be fun to play with. Leave the steering wheel "online" and let it spin or disconnect it? [url][/url]http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007071919531743&item=9-7401&catname= One reason the joystick appeals to me (other than the fact that I like to think outside the bun) is that I run out of hands when trying to operate the hydro lever, steering wheel and loader valves simultaneously. A second matching joystick valve on the other fender would be cool for the loader lift and bucket. I won't feel bad if you tell me to quit daydreaming and go back to my day job but would enjoy hearing some comments. Nelson

I think Biggie Rat tried this a a tractor and found it very difficult to control! It seemed to work ok at lower speeds but was uncontrollable at higher (ground)speeds. Dan

I think it'd be much easier to convert hydro to pedal control. On my loader tractor it is very easy to do all with the pedal control. One hand on the wheel (power steering of course), one hand can work both hydraulic controls at same time (even easier if you have rocker valve), and one foot for hydro.

Doesn't look like it would be that difficult to add a foot pedal on a 720/Powermax where the swashplate shaft exits the hydrostat. I agree, it would be a nice addition.

I drove a log skidder years back with a joystick for steering. Took some getting used to. I think it was a Tree Farmer. This thing had a 3 cylinder Detroit Diesel in it and when winching in a log, you should hear that detroit scream. Makes me happy just thinking of it.