Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

power steering question

richp

Would it be possible to run power steering off the sundstrand pump along with the factory power lift? I ordered the parts to convert my 7119 to power steering and I need a way to charge it. I have mounted a car power steering pump on one of my past tractors to run a homemade powerlift, so I quess I could go that way.

I do not have an answer to your question, but myself and Bacon Lettuce Tomato (BLT) would be real interested in pictures, parts lists, pricing info etc for your project. I think power steering on our 7100's is our next big project. From what limited knowledge I have, I think the sundstrand can pull off the task....but there are others far more knowledgeable than myself.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed at length before. Seems to me it was a capacity problem. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love power steering on my 916. Mike

quote:
Originally posted by richp
Would it be possible to run power steering off the sundstrand pump along with the factory power lift? I ordered the parts to convert my 7119 to power steering and I need a way to charge it. I have mounted a car power steering pump on one of my past tractors to run a homemade powerlift, so I quess I could go that way.
Not a problem at all. I added power steering to my Massey. Do get a 5 port steering valve so lift circuit won't affect power steering. I'm using a 4 port, but a 5 port is waay better. The Sundstrand charge/lift pump has PLENTY capacity to run the lifts & power steering.

"The Sundstrand charge/lift pump has PLENTY capacity to run the lifts & power steering." Except on quick turns there is "lag" in the power steering. Very frustrating when trying to dodge trees at speed. :(

quote:
Originally posted by richp
Where can I tap off the pump?
If you have hydraulic lift, then right where lift picks up it's oil, then rehook lift circuit to the "power beyond" port off the orbital.

not to be negative, but what happens when you push in the clutch because you realize you're dead on headed for the wife's flowerbed? Don't you lose PS at that time? -Don

quote:
Originally posted by duckman
not to be negative, but what happens when you push in the clutch because you realize you're dead on headed for the wife's flowerbed? Don't you lose PS at that time? -Don
We're talking of hydrostatic drive which the pump only shuts down when the engine does. Even then an orbital valve will steer but takes some more arm power & fast rotation of steering wheel.

I checked this spring and a complete kit would run about $875.00 if still available. I'm thinking the Sunstar uses the same basic components.

quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand
quote:
We're talking of hydrostatic drive which the pump only shuts down when the engine does. Even then an orbital valve will steer but takes some more arm power & fast rotation of steering wheel.
You're taking off of the Sundstrand hydro pump, yes? On mine and the units I've seen if you step on the clutch/brake the engine stops delivering power to the transmission, right? What am I missing? I'm not meaning to criticize your project, just don't understand. -Don

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand
quote:
You're taking off of the Sundstrand hydro pump, yes? On mine and the units I've seen if you step on the clutch/brake the engine stops delivering power to the transmission, right? What am I missing? I'm not meaning to criticize your project, just don't understand. -Don
I may have spoken too soon as I don't know all the setups on hydro on Allis & Simplicity tractors. All my tractors with hydro never(Allis, Massey, Unico) disconnect power from the engine to hydro till engine is killed.