Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

new front tires

skunkhome

I am in need of new front tires.

Will 3.50-8 Tri-ribs work on my 3414s with 16x6.50-8 front tires? Or should I get the turf-rib tires with shallow grooves. I thought the tri-rib would stop some of the side skip while mowing and steer better when I start pushing an angled dozer blade. What is you take?

NO, the 3.50 or 4" tri-ribs are way too narrow for your rims. I got some rims with 4.80x4x8 tires already mounted on with tubes & they looked plain silly as they were waaay outta shape reaching the rim bead. I have seen tri-ribs that were 16x6.50x8, but they were pricey!!! I went with ag tires on my front & made a huge difference with loader use, but not sure you'd want them for mowing.

I think the front tires on my 3410H are mismatched exactly like yoursB). I wonder if that was an option:D:D. I agree, the smaller A/G's are probably easier to find and cheaper. Another option would be to find a narrow set of wheels for the front for the tri-ribs.

quote:
Originally posted by firefoxz1
I think the front tires on my 3410H are mismatched exactly like yoursB). I wonder if that was an option:D:D. I agree, the smaller A/G's are probably easier to find and cheaper. Another option would be to find a narrow set of wheels for the front for the tri-ribs.
I think it was by design as a offset for mowing on the side of hills. sm04 Anyway the down hill side needs replacing as it is shot. Actually I think it is an original tire while the flat topped one is a replacement. What do you think of this tire? It has a good load capacity but,I find it hard to tell what it looks like since it is shown in deflated condition. http://cgi.ebay.com/2-16X6-50-8-4-Ply-Rib-Lawn-Mower-Tires-PAIR-DS7221_W0QQitemZ230121307492QQihZ013QQcategoryZ82248QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I would definitly NOT go with those. I've had tires like those on some tractors. Although they are ribbed the opening is not wide or deep enough to aid traction so they work more like a slick. JMHO.

quote:
Originally posted by firefoxz1
I would definitly NOT go with those. I've had tires like those on some tractors. Although they are ribbed the opening is not wide or deep enough to aid traction so they work more like a slick. JMHO.
WHAT ABOUT the Carlisle Snow Hog? Or is that too agressive? actually I like the old stud tires like those on the B-1. They were kind to the turf but did not slide.

Yep, they'll scoot very easy on grass, especially if damp. The Deestone tires are a good brand, but I'd only put those treads on a trailer or the like. Deestone Ags are what I put on my loader tractor. Very good tires for the money. I like them as well or better than Carlisle.