Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

limited slip differential

hdfx81

When I lift the rear wheels of my 3112V sovereign off the ground should I be able to spin them independently (hold left tire and spin right tire)?right now I can't and was wondering if my differential is messed up. Thanks,Mike P.S. I just recently joined and think it was the best $10.00 I've spent in a long time!

quote:
Originally posted by hdfx81

[img]/club2/attach/hdfx81/new-toy.jpg[/img]
When I lift the rear wheels of my 3112V sovereign off the ground should I be able to spin them independently (hold left tire and spin right tire)?right now I can't and was wondering if my differential is messed up. Thanks,Mike P.S. I just recently joined and think it was the best $10.00 I've spent in a long time!
If you can I would say it is messed up, That would be an open diff. not a limited slip. Leave one wheel on the ground while in neutral and the brake off and see if you can spin the other. With the ground holding one wheel you should be able to spin the other. Most people would not be able to hold one with enough pressure and spin the other with enough force to over come the limited slip part. JMHO. Yes this has been the best $10 a year I have ever spend.

I backed off the traction control bolts jacked up the left side and tried to turn it with the right tire on the ground and could only move the left tire about an inch or so,retorqued the control bolts to 20 ft.lbs and same thing. Is this how it should be?

How can you tell if one has limited slip or plain differential? My BIL said the 416H I got from him was supposed to have limited slip, but it spins like mad when light-sided. How ya tell??