Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mowed with 7112, have questions

GWGAllisfan

I just recently got a 7112H, and have been wanting to try it out on some mowing. Well today I got the opportunity and then some. As it has rained everyday this week, all the grass around here was finally growing. When I had last posted, I had a bent idler and broken belt. Whilst waiting for a new idler and genuine Simplicity belt to arrive from SLI, i found a same diameter idler and length belt from Tractor supply and mounted it up. (I've had pretty good results with their premium belts, and though I know it's not a genuine Simplicity one, I thought if it was a mechanical issue that broke the belt, better break a 13$ then a 30$ one!) So anyway, today I had to mow my aunts yard, My in-laws, and mine. Altogether about 2 acres, but anything but flat. Started the mowing and noticed the engine seemed to be working much harder than on my 712S. On the sloping yard (Around 30 degrees or so) cutting at max height, Maybe removing 2-3 inches, could barely keep the tractor moving. The hydro barely came off the neutral mark. Finished that moved to the next yard, this time fescue grass, maybe removing 4-5 inches, Gently sloping. Still had to keep hydro barely open, Engine really seemed to labor going uphill. Again on the same ground the 712 didn't seem to work as hard as the 7112. Roughly 2-2.5 hours of mowing at this point. Finished came home, and since I could hear the belt tensioner slapping, re-tensioned the belt, cut for a few more rounds, still seeming under powered, then the belt shredded, so I finished with the 712. I give this long and involved story to ask these questions. 1. Has anyone else noted a 12HP as being a bit weak with a hydro? It just seems to work really hard. The fastest I ever went was with the back of the hydro lever lined up with the control notch. 2. Belt opinions: I suspect the belt I was using died from the twisting. I lean toward installing the new Simplicity idler, since it's flatter across, and belt to try again next time. Opinion on this course of action? On the plus side, the mower deck worked great, and my father-in-law has been impressed enough with the performance of Simplicity/AC that we may look for him one. Sorry for the long post, Just looking for opinions and advice.

How does it run when just driving it without the mower engaged? Uphill and down can you get full hydro speed without pulling the engine down? Shredding the belt that quick, even on a non-OEM belt seems to indicate that something might be binding or dragging causing not only your belt to shred but robbing power. Just a quick guess to see if the two might be related.

The engine should not be laboring as much as you describe. Does it labor going uphill without the mower engaged? The tension on the mower drive belt is critical. I have a AC 912H (same tractor). When I first got it I broke mower drive belts every couple of hours. I finally found that someone had broken the eye on the belt tension spring and re-bent an eye on it. With a new spring and tensioned to the green mark on the decal, the green Tractor Supply belts last several years. Tom

The engine does pull down some when going up steep grades with the mower off. It can sit there still with the mower running and be fine. I'll have to check the PTO spring. The PTO was in pieces when i bought it, so maybe a new spring is in order. I bought before I found the one that came with the tractor, so that's a good first fix.

How sharp are your blades? I have a 7112 (Kohler) and she can cut through some tall stuff (~8-15")jh

As others have stated, I think there's an issue with the mower deck. My 48" deck on my 12HP Homelite has no trouble running up hill and cutting some pretty heavy grass. In my experience, it's normal to lose some ground speed going uphill with a constant position of the hydro lever; some "extra forward" lever movement is required to maintain constant speed. Same is true going downhill, but "less forward" lever movement is required. I'd try swapping the mower decks on your two tractors. Based on the result, you'll know if the problem is the deck or something in the drivetrain of the 7112.

Make sure the bushing in the idler bracket that the pulley is mounted on, on the mower deck is not seized up. This will give you problems with belts.

Randy, My 712H was pretty much gutless, particularly on any type of hill/grade. A 16 hp Briggs solved my problem-BIG power difference, was like a new tractor. Brent

I have a 712-H 42" inch deck with a TSC belt and idler and I don't have the belt trouble you have. There is a power difference between my 7116-H and the 712, but not that much. If you have another deck that fits try it. But first raise the seat- transmission cover, stand back and sight your belt and idler alignment. Try running the deck for one or two minutes and see if you have a hot idler. Stan

Sometimes the bearings in the deck arbor assemblies will sieze up and spin the bearing in the arbor housing. Pulls the engine down alot. Also can cause a good grass fire from heat build up if you have enough dead grass under the deck covers. Been there , done that.

Thanks for all the analysis. I'll keep tinkering with it and see what happens. BTW, when a Kohler single backfires nearly every time it shuts down, even after idling, what could that indicate? Too rich? Idle circuit?