Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel problems 3416H

gtwygreg

I'm having an issue with my 3416H project tractor. I just recently got this tractor running and I was trying to cut grass with it for the first time. The tractor starts easily, but when I put it under load, it starts to die out then recover then die out again and it will keep doing this. If I pull the choke it seems to do better, it seems to be starving for fuel. I rebuilt the carb earlier this season and installed a new gaskets, main jet, new float, needle and seat, throttle shaft, throttle shaft bushings, and mixture screws. I pretty much gave it a total overhaul. I set the float to exact specs outlined in the briggs manual. I replaced the fuel line and filter as well and removed the old screen filter that was in the fuel tank. Compression is at around 60psi and the ignition has been replaced with an external coil setup. I can't figure out why this tractor won't run properly, does anyone have any ideas I'm stumped and frustrated?

You put a new float in it, but, I'd start there. Remove it, shake it to see if you can hear gas sloshing inside. Sounds like a waterlogged float more than anything.

What about your governor to carb setting? Ig that is not correct, your engine will lag when when it needs governor response. It is a simple procedure.

The governor setting is the same as when I bought it, but everything else was improperly adjusted, so it's possible that that's wrong as well. How do I correctly set the governor? Thanks for the input!

The first thing to do (if you have not already) is dump the gas and put fresh in. Stale gas is the biggest cause of vapor lock. Tractor runs for a short while and dies out. Overheating also causes vapor lock. Check for old dirt and crud or mouse nests in the fins, especially under the tin. Does the engine seem hot when it dies out? A restricted main carburetor jet can be the cause but usually draining and replacing the gas works.