Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How hot does a good S/G get?

mmischni

Hi all, I know the starter/generator units on the old landlords are not vented in any way, so I would expect that they get warm. My starter and regulator seems to operate as intended, giving big charge to the battery right after a start and tapering off as the voltage comes up. However, after 20 -30 minutes of run time, the housing for the S/G is really hot. Like the kind of hot that says I can't keep my hand on it for more than a couple seconds. I opened it up when I first got the tractor and blew out ages of carbon dust. I also repacked the bearings which were as good as new. The brushes are short, but not gone yet. Does this seem like excessive heat? Won't use of the headlights just make this worse? Matt

They are a sealed unit and will get hot and that is why their output amperage generally not over 10 Amps. They will get hot to the touch. But that is what they were designed for.

My S/G runs the same way after a period of use - not too hot to touch, but too hot to touch for more than a second or so. On my Homelite T-12 the S/G is supplying the amps for the front electric PTO whenever I mow and the S/Gs have lasted for many years. I would hope they are designed to withstand the heat generated while supplying 15 amps at normal outdoor summer ambient temperatures (which should be less than "under-the-hood" temperatures of cars/trucks).