Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B&S 326437 for my 7116

wardp

I toasted my B&S 16 HP 326437 engine recently. The repair shop says B&S doesn't make this one anymore. Anyone know if another engine can easily replace this one??

Peter

Peter, Any cast-iron B&S single will work. I've on ocassion put in Kohler 16hp cast iron single engines in place of Briggs. If you put a Kohler in with batt/coil ignition you will have to change the ignition switch. The Kohler will bolt up to the Briggs motor mount holes,but you will have to get the drive shaft adapter from Kohler as I had to. Adapter is about $45.00. If kohler has electronic ignition,then all you'll need is the adapter. Good Luck! dlc

Is it beyond boring and grinding the crank? We have put Brs Vangard twins in these. Probably the simplest modern swap is the new TOC 18 Kohler. This is the standard engine in the new Sovereign. By ordering the accessories new ie. muffler, ex pipe, throttle and choke cables, base adaptor etc. it becomes a straight forward installation. You then have a nice quiet, powerful tractor. Put the power steering kit on and you are down town. Good luck, Al

re:power steering. The power steering kit is available for the current Sovereign, and will work on any of the 7100 and 900 series AC, at least any with hydro ports from the charge pump in the hydro. This is where the hyd. lift gets its pressure. The kit comes with a new dash panel and decal, choke cable, a rotary hydrostatic steering unit (like in Sun Star)that replaces the complete steering gear assy. A cylinder that replaces the drag link assy. New steel hydraulic lines. A couple of hours later, Presto Chango hydraulic steering. Kit part # is 1692856. We sell them for $615. plus installation. You can buy it at any Simplicity dealer. If you want to experience it go to your local dealer and test drive a new Sovereign to see how it works. Good Luck, Al

Al, Have you ever put one on the AC B series or Simp. 2012 or 3212 vintage tractors. One could pick up the hydraulics off the power lift pump. Tim

Al, It's not hard to find a cylinder that would work, the problem is finding a steering control valve. I don't know of any car steering that would work, car steering is power assist and has a physical connection to the steering rod. The tractor steering needs to be hoses only. If some farm machinery uses this type of steering I guess I'll start checking the farm equipment boneyards.

re: B series. No I haven't. I guess anything is possible with enough work and planning. Just look at a Sovereign and measure the steering cyl. etc. The steering unit is the same as my fork ift uses, I don't remember but I think it is Char-Lynn. Ican check that out. These same type systems are used on farm equipment, combines, hay conditioners, swathers, etc. Maybe some scrounging and a spl cyl might work, and maybe use an old car p.s. pump and drive like the hydraulic pump is driven. Adapt the 7100 lift valve and use this pump for both. Also maybe look at some of the smaller car p.s. systems. Maybe something there you could adapt, even the car steering gear. You certainly have opened the door for some creative approaches. Good luck and keep us advised.
Al

I agree, you should be able to use the Sun Star or Sovereign steering unit with any cyl. I also wondered if some small car might have a small rack and pinion unit that might be able to be used with U joints in the shaft. These suggestions are thought provoking, and often times one sees something that just jumps out at you when you are least expecting it. I took a 404 Wonderboy in trade from a guy about75 that was so proud that he had upgraded it with a Volkswagon steering gear. It worked well, but the engine was blown and we cut it up for scrap. He had done a nice job and it steered well. Just some thoughts. Al