Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ToddM

7790 Diesel Questions

ToddM
I am going to look at a Simplicity 7790 Diesel tractor this weekend. I guess it has about 670 hours on it. Just wondering if there is anything special I should look out for being it is a diesel. I would think everything else that could go wrong with it would be the same as a regular gas model, so I know what to look for there. Also, what is parts availability on the diesel. Thanks for you're help. Todd Martin

D-17_Dave
Todd, there are a few issues such as parts that make it an exspensive investment as far as a hobby goes. The bottom line is if the tractor was used and maintained well and serviced regularly then it should still be in very good shape. The users here that have them speak highly of them.

ToddM
Thanks Dave, I'm not sure that I am going to buy it or not. First I need to take a good look and listen to it. It sounds as if it was well taken care of, but who knows. Thanks again. Todd Martin

haykarenhardy
I have driven past a 7790 for two months, It has about 920 hours on it and they ask $1800 for it. I wonder what it would take to get a cast iron Briggs or vanguard in it. The tractor has hydrolift and looks good except it was not used much for the last 7 years. Stan

DMedal
quote:
Originally posted by haykarenhardy
I have driven past a 7790 for two months, It has about 920 hours on it and they ask $1800 for it. I wonder what it would take to get a cast iron Briggs or vanguard in it. The tractor has hydrolift and looks good except it was not used much for the last 7 years. Stan
Stan- You want to replace the diesel with a gas engine? I'm curious to know why. -Don

steamtoys
Todd: I recently purchased a 7790 for $1250.00 with no attachments. Fell in love with the Diesel idea. The overall condition was great no steering or kingpin wear. nuts - bolts showed no wrench marks - rounded corners. Tractor had no signs of being left out in the weather. The bonus was that it came with a spare running engine out of another tractor. Did have a fuel leak at the high pressure pump that turned out to be only an O Ring problem. Have been mowing with my new purchase and I have fallen in love with it. At this point would like to find another 7790 and possibly retire my J.D's. I do think that replacement engine parts could prove to be quite xpensive. If you can make repairs youself this would be a bonus. Good Luck Ron

UCD
1985 Simplicity 7790 Lombardini diesel bought new, over 5000 hours, yes over five thousand hours on it. It has only been used to blow snow, mower deck has never been on it. It has been used abused and put away wet. You could offer me $2,000.00 for just the tractor and I would say been nice knowing ya.

bigcountry
quote:
Originally posted by haykarenhardy
If the diesel was well taken care of, it should last for an almost indefinite amount of time. No need to kill its value by replacing it with a gasser of any kind.

UCD
The 7790 is the same tractor as a 7100/900 series with the exection for a couple frame cut outs to accomadate the Lombardini Diesel. Any engine that came in a 7100/900 series will fit. You will need the wireing harness for that engine.

DMedal
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
The 7790 is the same tractor as a 7100/900 series with the exection for a couple frame cut outs to accomadate the Lombardini Diesel. Any engine that came in a 7100/900 series will fit. You will need the wireing harness for that engine.
And going the other way? Is it too impractical to consider fittingt some other diesel in a gas frame? -Don

ToddM
Yes, I bought the tractor from a fellow member actually. I removed both injectors and had them rebuilt and installed a new WIX fuel filter to replace the original. I also had to remove the mower deck to remove the rear lift that the previous owner wanted back. I had a chance to look at the deck belt and noticed that the spring had come off the idler, so the belt was really loose, good thing I didn't try to mow with it. Other than being a little faded from sitting in the sun it looks and runs good now. My son and I went to the military vehicle show in Iola this weekend and I found a M35A2 6x6 that I am going to buy , so I think I'll have to sell the 7790 to keep everyone happy ( my wife) and me. I have lots of pictures of it, but I have an IMAC computer and can't figure out how to make the pictures any smaller to fit on this site. Thanks Todd Martin

UCD
Iphoto should have a photo resizer function in it Search Terms: How do i resize photos? http://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?threadID=&q=How+do+i+resize+photos&objID=c143&dateRange=last90days&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001 http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4775699#4775699 How do I compress or resize a pic? http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4811977#4811977 Resize! 1.4.2 http://kstudio.net/re.html