Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rsnik

Step one

rsnik
Can't figure out how KSever gets things done in an hour. But then I thought, hmmmm, maybe he uses a factory repair manual. Sooo, I bought this today. Go ahead, ask me any questions! All shall be revealed!

DMedal
quote:
Originally posted by rsnik
Can't figure out how KSever gets things done in an hour.....
By the time you've had your engine out of the tractor 12 times YOU'LL be able to do it in under an hour too. I need a lift tho: after Armstronging engine plus starter onto the bench I'm ready for an hour in the comfy chair with a couple of cool beverages. -

tec2484
quote:
Originally posted by duckman
quote:
Can't figure out how KSever gets things done in an hour.....
By the time you've had your engine out of the tractor 12 times YOU'LL be able to do it in under an hour too. I need a lift tho: after Armstronging engine plus starter onto the bench I'm ready for an hour in the comfy chair with a couple of cool beverages. -
Maybe thats what I'm doing wrong! I get in the comfy chair and have a couple of cool ones before I start working:D:D:D

rsnik
Hi Duckman, I am thinking the same thing. I need to pull the engine out of the 7016 also. I can use tackle to pull it from an over head point but then you need to move it. I need something with wheels under it that will lift and transport the engine to the bench and back.

DMedal
quote:
Hi Duckman, I am thinking the same thing. I need to pull the engine out of the 7016 also. I can use tackle to pull it from an over head point but then you need to move it. I need something with wheels under it that will lift and transport the engine to the bench and back.
The non back breaking way I do it is to lift it with about a 6 ft bar (fence post, actually, rope to exhaust and S/G bracket) and two people. I can manage a 16HP w/ S/G and muffler by myself but it is a real strain. Other guys here clearly have a better way. What do you pros do? What's the NASCAR pit stop way to remove and replace an engine? -D

KSever
That's it, I don't get comfy in the comfy chair and drink a couple cool ones before I work. I do have a beer tapper :drl with a half barrel (what can I say I'm in Wisconsin) but I don't drink before or while I'm working on machinery. But afterwards is a different story.:J If you concentrate on what you are going to be doing and plan ahead, have your tools ready, parts ready and have read up on what you are going to be doing it shouldn't be a problem. Oh and yes I have one of those for both hands.OO
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/KSever/DSC00231.JPG[/img]

rsnik
Hi Elon, Don't ask that question. SmilinSam is the official club philosopher and you will awaken the sleeping giant**! **(Please note, this is officially not a personal attack, I like Sam very much!)

toomanytractors
Hi Guys: This discussion about lifting engines has a cheep, easy solution. I went to Harbor Freight and picked up an electric winch for about $80.00 on sale. Capacity is 440# on a single line and 880# with cable doubled. Since my garage has only a 7' ceiling I made a box out of 2x10 and mounted it above the bottom stringer after bracing the trusses. I have room to pull an engine, roll the tractor out of the way and set it down on the Black&Decker Workmate and go to work. The other great advantage to this contraption is that I work on a lot of mowers that I don't want to remove decks from to sharpen blades or do underdeck repairs. Nothing like putting a strap on the front axle and standing it right on its tail!! Turns out to be the single greatest labor saving device I've bought in a long time. Think about it. Regards, Dave