Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adding Rear PTO to a 620

SMC17

My 2nd 620 had no rear pto installed from factory. I'm interested in investigating retro fitting one to it. I searched the archives for some help on this but it seems that few have attempted this feat. What is necessary to do this? I've seen the parts listings for the "Rear PTO Kit" but that seems incomplete. While I haven't cracked open the transaxle yet to see the guts it's obvious that I'm missing the rear pto coupler assembly (I have just a plate), the shafts, drive hub and the clutch. I have an extra front pto clutch that I plan on using if possible. If no rear pto was installed when new am I also missing the transaxle gears (171124, 175150) and cap assembly (173878)? Sounds expensive and complicated but doable over time. Has anyone done this?

Sean--There's a bunch of PTO parts available on Ebay now for a Powermax. Whether or not they interchange with a 620--I better let someone who knows something answer that. Nelson

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=13&sortfield=lastpost&sortorder=0&whichpage=5

Best Idea is to get a parts manual to see what you need, a lot of the parts are never taken out of the rear end and offered for sale.

With the setup time and trouble to install you'd most likely be better off buying the whole rear end and swapping it out into your tractor. You'll still need the shaft and clutch assembly to complete the pto.