Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tillerman

36 inch Tiller Chain Problems ?

tillerman
My tiller just started making a loud clunking noise when I put it in the ground and start digging. After doing a search I figure it is probably a chain getting loose. I have taken the tines off and started dismantling the parts to get to the gearbox. Do I need to lay it on a certain side to open the gear case to avoid losing parts or does it matter. Just want a little info before parts start flying. Thanks for the Club. It is the greatest. Richard

RedbarnRick
Here's the repair manual,but being a Harley man chain drives should be right up your alley, hope this helps. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_0570_00_AT_S.pdf

tillerman
Thanks everyone for the response. Where is the best place to buy the chain. I figure the Simplicity (or Briggs) part is higher than going to a bearing store or is there someplace online I could order it? Thanks Rick for the manual link. Richard

rsnik
It is starting to feel like Christmas morning here. I just bought a 36 inch tiller and need this manual also. Thanks very much again Rick! tillerman I think chain comes in different sizes (like 415,420,428,520 etc). I have not torn my very used looking tiller down yet and will probably replace the chain. If the manual gives a clear indication of what the chain size is you can buy chain online from many sources, such as moto-chain.com. If I can't figure out what size the chain is I will have to take it into my local bearing shop.

wilm169
Farm tractor dealers keep a stock on hand, and will cut it to lenght for you. get a top grade of chain and conector link, such as double diamond, do not buy cheep chain or you will do it again.:(:(!:O I think it is a #50 chain.:D Some thing to remimber also is the lock on the conector must go on one way or it will not stay [open side to the pull or to the push side] ask where you buy the chain.

tillerman
Just finished tearing into the gearbox and cleaning all the grease out. The chains are two different sizes. The chain that pulls the tines is a size 50. The other two are size 40. They are all 28 inches long or very close to that length. Just a little info I thought I would share. Richard