Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

717 HiLo

rsnik

Arrived just now. A HiLo bought on eBay from belgradetractor, a man up in Gardiner, ME.

I just grabbed it as it went by, since I have a 717, but I look at it and scratch my head. A healthy dose of magic seems to be at work here. The pulley replaces the existing pulley. The gear reduction case is on the outside of the pulley. When you pull the handle to the right you are in Hi. When you push the handle to the left the reduction gear case pops away from the pulley to the left and you are in Lo. Well, the reduction gear case appears like it's going to be on the outside of the pulley so how does that effect gear reduction other than magic?

I believe that when you pull on it to the right the gears in the case are disengaged and the pulley is on direct drive with the shaft. Then when you push it on to the left the gears in the case are engaged and the gears are driving the shaft. Not positive though but that what I figured when I had mine on my 616 Yeoman. Tom

Great score! Looks like the one I have sitting on my bench waiting to be installed on my 717 along with the original headlights.

Thanks Mark, (Hey! did you get that pulley?) Thanks SimpleTom, to quote Joe Dirt "It's like positraction, you don't know how it works, it just does." Thanks KSever, with your capabilities, if something is waiting on your bench, I imagine you, like me, are savoring the moment when you look at a used part you just got or else it would already be on your tractor, LOL!

Looks like the pulley doesn't direct connect to the shaft, but rather can spin on the keyed center. In high it locks pulley to the center section & in low, the reduction turns the keyed section slower than the outer pulley section.

LOL rsnik, Lots of parts on my bench await. Parts to rebuild my Ford Jubilee carb and intake manifold, 717 sitting right beside the bench just needs a carb rebuild along with a 4108 that just needs new rings which are to sitting in the new package with the gaskets.Even have a loader sitting outside waiting to be installed on the Ford.sm00 Only problem is I have been trying to get my summer house rebuild projects of completely gutting the downstairs bathroom to the studs, removing the toilet/sink and expanding the whole room to add a tub and a shower. Then while I wait for parts on that room I am working on removing the outer walls in the front of this 1885 two story house to reveal the real porch and putting the real exterior walls back on their foundation (two 2X4's were actually holding up the front exterior wall along with a one 2X4 holding up the center bearing wall I beam) dang scary. Winter time I hope to get to my tractor projects (fingers crossed) unless I can find spare time. Unless I can sneak time in my wife doesn't know about...;)

Hi KSever, This house is new construction but I owned an antique house many years ago. The critters in the walls were a problem. You could hear them moving through the walls or else chewing on something you can only imagine is the wiring. My son has a friend up the street whose parents restored a house built in the 1700's. Just the other day he was over and the subject of critters in the wall came up. He said not any more but at one time in the reconstruction there was a hole in the wall the critters would habitually stick their nose out of to check things out. He said his dad kept a CO2 pellet pistol handy and would aim about an inch behind the nose and whiskers. The home is nicely redone now and I am struck by how even smaller, modest homes had so many thoughtful, interesting features and details built into them that are missing from todays slammed together tract houses.