Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

begining a new identity

skunkhome

started the task of doing a repaint on my Simplicity 3414s. I think I am going to resurrect it as an A-C. It looks like it masqueraded as an IH Farmall!, a John Deer :Y and soon will be an Allis impersonator.^

1st coat Chevy Orange DE1620 GREAT The Duplicolor can has directions printed in the smallest type they can possibly print on a metallic silver background. I absolutely could not read it so I had to remove the label and scan it to blow it up enough to read and use some contrast adjustments to allow me to barely read the directions. Two hours later while I am finally reading the label by image enhancement I read that I must apply all coats within one hour at 10 minute intervals or wait one week to re-coat. What a bummer!!! :(! I know I should have read the label before I started but Duplicolor needs to be kicked for making an unreadable label.

Hi Skunkhome, I am glad your brought this up. I have a 7013 and a 7016 parts tractor. The 7016 has a very straight and clean hood:

It also has rear seat pan tin which looks terrible but has only one simple, deformation in the rear of the tin.

[br The 7013 has perfect paint on the rear seat tin, but there are subtle and complicated deformations (wrinkles) in the tin. The 7013 has extensive warping to the hood tin as I believe it has been tipped over twice. There are 2 dents in the hood caused by the manual lift lever being crushed into the hood, one of them on my watch.

I was thinking of using the tin from the 7016 on the 7013. I found real A/C yellow paint in a rattle can. I like the color. There is the obvious benefit of painting the entire tractor one color. I thought, however, there might be issues with showing the club pics of me painting a Simplicity with the trade colors of A/C. I like that yellow, although, in all honesty, whatever that color is that richp paints his tractors with is what I actually favor.

quote:
Originally posted by rsnik
I found real A/C yellow paint in a rattle can. I like the color. There is the obvious benefit of painting the entire tractor one color. I thought, however, there might be issues with showing the club pics of me painting a Simplicity with the trade colors of A/C. I like that yellow, although, in all honesty, whatever that color is that richp paints his tractors with is what I actually favor.
I look at it this way. Simplicity was owned by A-C at the time both yours and my tractors were being produced.... Would that not make them Allis Chalmers. I am a bit torn between badging it as an AC or putting the original Baron-S decal on the new painted job. I just am not real fond of the Baron-S label. It also sounds like the wife of a German fighter Ace. However I do like the decals that go on the rear fender and front frame that say "Simplicity, an Allis Chalmers Company". Decisions decisions! The label on the Duplicolor can reminds me of this sign.