Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016 Hydrostatic Transmission Question

RodStayner

When I start up my 7016, it takes the hydrostatic transmission a little time until the tractor will move in either direction. I believe it is only this way after it has sat for some time (like when I haven't used it for a couple days), and it is probably only 15 seconds or so. But this is the first tractor I have ever had do this.... I bought the tractor last year and have changed the hydrostatic fluid and filter (OEM Simplicity filter). The drive belt isnt' slipping, although I will probably order a new one with my next parts order. I just rebuilt the mower deck and mowed with it for the first time since I purchased it since we actually had some RAIN. I did use it to till the garden in the spring. Is the transmission losing its prime or something like that? Is there something I can look at?

Here's the manual on the Sunstrand, page 9, loss of prime, and the way to remedy it. Hope this helps http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_2518_00_XX_SMA

Rick - Thanks for the information on the hydro. I will check out the priming pump and see what shape it's in.

Locked up the window once. I hit Alt F4 to collapse the page, tried again and it worked. I have a 7016H and this is a nice gift. Thank you Rick!

Make sure the 2 valves on top of the transmission, that release the hydro to be able to push it, are working, and not stuck.

Yes, 474.15 was the price my dealer quoted me a couple of years ago when I had the same problem. Of course I turned to this club and bought a whole used Sunstrand from a fellow member for much less. I uploaded the process of swapping the two pumps complete with pictures. It should be here on this site someplace, it might help you out if you decide to take a cheaper way out. Oh by the way, my 7016 has worked great ever since. My plan is to eventually have the original Sunstrand rebuilt to have on hand as a spare.

My Allis 416H was doing same thing...only after a few days non-use. It has Vickers unit. When I got it from my BIL it had hydraulic oil in it & I figured the right oil, but went with motor oil to avoid foaming. Many hydro's call for 10W30. Then I downloaded manual & seen it calls for ATF. Changed to ATF & end of problem...takes off immediately now.

The manual is GREAT! Thanks! The charge check valves appear to be sticking. I really should take them apart and clean/inspect them first. I checked the priming pump and it doesn't look obviously bad (I have seen some VERY bad hydraulic pumps at work!) but I didn't take measurements. I have thought about getting another hydro for a spare just in case at some point.