Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tipping tractor on it's side for access.

richp

I am doing some hose routing under my 7119h and am having a tough time constantly crawling under it. Have any of you guys tipped your machines on their side for easy access? I did this before on my old 64 Landlord with no ill effects. The gas tank and battery are already off the tractor. I am not willing to drain oil out to do this, I'll keep crawling under before I do that. Any thoughts?

Rich, I don't know about tipping. But, I use car repair ramp to lift it 1' off the floor. Works real good. You can also build a wooden platform in which car ramps can be used in conjunction.

Tip it up So what If you don't drain the oil some might leak out ,Expect some smoke after for a while your not going to hurt anything

I have an I beam with a trolley in my garage, so I can hoist the front up high, but I don't feel comfortable there. Should the hoist malfunction, I'm all done.

Simple7016 drained the fluids and then lifted the front end of his 916/7116 and then stood it on end so I could help him install a hyd lift attachment. A chain was connected to tractor and rafter to help maintain its balance. We did it in Sept of 06 and wrote a short thread on it. Simple is a weight lifter.

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/912onend.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Bobslavingaway.jpg[/img]
Yep....we drained the oil and she balances pretty well by itself. The chain was used for safety.

This image caught my eye - looks like a nice way to clean the mower deck at least on the small frame machines. Picture was taken from the 1970 catalog. Not sure how to safely get the front end up in the air though.

Hi, We sometimes tip units on their side. With batt out and fuel tank low enough it won't leak. We do it to pressure wash underneath. One thing. Take something and pinch off the fuel line, as the float doesn't work and gas may run through the carb. Al Eden

On the old 738 Simplicity recommended putting a 4x4 behind the seat and tipping it straight up like simpleton is doing. That is after removing the battery and having less than half a tank of gas. With the tractor in first gear, I could lift it myself to that position. Jack