Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to me Tractor

Ketchamized

Ketchamized
It's not a Simplicity or Allis but... The price was right, tractor's pretty solid, has nice tires & parts, is close to me, and I like the look. My grandfather is giving me two of those in mint unmolested (Immaculate unrestored original paint and perfect running engine) condition eventually so I might as well practice on this one. It's a 1969/1970 (Don't know which year yet) Wheelhorse Charger 12 Automatic. Has a 12 HP Kohler 301S, Sunstrand hydrostatic transmission, and the rest, you can see for yourself in the pictures. :D The seller said that it ran last summer, but since then, it's been parked. It needs a battery and a new seat. Other than that, it's complete. Probably could use some good engine clean up/tune up and it'd be good to go. The price? $138.39 I'll be picking it up on Saturday. If anybody has info on these, or resources to these, I'd be very grateful.

On Edit: P.S. The Deck is 42"

Ketchamized
Matt, Definitely. I've seen those Kohler engines sell for $400 on eBay. And then there's the lugs, the deck, and the rest. But, I'm going to be keeping it together and restoring it completely. :D

Simpleton7016
Ah ha....I think that is the same tractor that I saw on the 1980s big screen production of "Follow that Bird" starring Big Bird. I took this picture several years ago after pausing the movie to try to identify the tractor. Actually, if memory serves, you have at least one little one. My boys both loved the movie around age 2 to 2 1/2.
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Wheelhorse6.jpg[/img]

great price. its the big brother to my $50 877. if the hydro trans is in good shape, you'll have some fun with it. when i first got mine i took off out of the garage in reverse and kinda put it in forward a little to fast. the frontend came straight up in the air. lost a tie rod when it came down. one common promblem i have notice is the WH tie-rods wear and like to pop off. a couple zip-ties to hold them on work great untill you can find some new ones. i love plowing snow with mine. i have poped wheelies with the blade on:O and also zipped right over large snow mounds:D and have never got mine stuck driveing threw the yard in deep snow. and mine is just a baby with a 8HP kohler. they are so light in the front end they dont turn for crap when plowing. simple fix with front tire chains. give me your model# located on dash under the steering wheel or left upper dash area and i can give you some good info and online manuals form toro.com. love the wood grain look:)
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/tractorsnow007.jpg[/img]

Ketchamized
Erik, LOL, that one in the pic you provided is either a Ranger 8 or Ranger 10. This one is a Ranger 10 and matches yours exactly. See the big decals on the hood on the side http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-ANTIQUE-WHEEL-HORSE-LAWN-TRACTOR-WITH-MOWER-L-K_W0QQitemZ270150171102QQihZ017QQcategoryZ66759QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Mine is a charger, and a little bit bigger. Looks like a long mystery got solved for you today! :D

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
Ah ha....I think that is the same tractor that I saw on the 1980s big screen production of "Follow that Bird" starring Big Bird. I took this picture several years ago after pausing the movie to try to identify the tractor. Actually, if memory serves, you have at least one little one. My boys both loved the movie around age 2 to 2 1/2.
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Wheelhorse6.jpg[/img]

now gosh darnit, my kids have that movie. suprise'ly i have'nt seen it. well you'all know what what the family will be watching tonight:D. ill see if i can identify it.

Ketchamized
Perry, That's a nice 877. :) It's amazing to me how a lot of WH looks the same, but each is different in its own way. As for the hydro, it's supposed to be fine. But knowing eBay, I'm not holding my breath. We'll find that out soon enough. I'm picking up the tractor this Saturday. Once I get it, I'll get the serials to you. Looking forward to it. :)

Ketchamized
Perry, LOL, I guess there has got to be something in there for the parents. LOL My son is almost 2, so it'll be time to get him movies like that. :D Also, we have another baby on the way, due in late December to early January.

Nice tractor, Erick! A lot of WheelHorse tractors looked pretty much the same, for a lot of years. We had an 800 Special, that was similar looking, had a different dash. And a different powerplant.

mowerman1193
The "movie tractor" is not no Ranger as they was all V-shaft motors..Maybe you meant Raider?

Ketchamized
Kenny, Thanks. ^ With some more research, I discovered that specifically, my Wheelhorse Charger 12 is a 1968 model- the first year Charger 12's came out. In early 1968, the Kohler engine used the old fashioned starter/generator. In later 1968, they came out with gear starter. The gear starter is much better, because it doesn't steal power from dragging the belt while running. Anyhow, I can tell you I've gotten two offers already for the Charger 12. One guy offered $250, the other offered $400. It really surprised me at how quick people are to make an unsolicited offer for it. (Sorry guys, I'm keeping this one smile) For this one, I'm thinking of taking it mostly apart, cleaning it up completely and degreasing it completely. Then, use a rust remover and lightly remove the surface rust (not all of it, just half of it), use fine steel wool and wet-wool the tractor. Then, clean it again, put clear coat on it. And put back together and grease all zerks and joints. As for that muffler, I'm going to take that stack off and put on the original stock muffler.

Ketchamized
Kevin, Yes, my bad. I meant the Raider 10. There are some Rangers that do have horizonal shaft engines, though. But you're definitely right that it's the Raider, not the Ranger. (You'd think they'd be more careful about what they name their tractors to avoid confusion) With some looking, the tractor Erik saw might actually be a C-161 It's hard to tell with the picture being blurry. If it's a Charger 12, then it has to be a late 1972. It's the decal that is throwing me off. http://cgi.ebay.com/Wheelhorse-16-hp-Hydrostat-tractor_W0QQitemZ250147306276QQihZ015QQcategoryZ66759QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Perry, what do you reckon?