Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GWGAllisfan

Kohler woes...updated

GWGAllisfan
I had earlier posted of my test mowings with the new to me 7112H, and how it seemed to not have enough power. This afternoon I tried again. From the start the engine seemed to struggle to maintain full RPM and power. At other times it seemed to free up and run with great power, giving me a hope, as well as a small glance how nice a hydro tractor might be. It was completely at random how it would run. I also noticed a small amount of smoke from the left side of the engine, kind of behind the carb, maybe a clogged breather? I tried slight adjustments to the fuel needle valve, but to no avail. I finally got so irritated with it that after the front yard, Out came the AC-712S. On the same terrain, no comparison, so something isn't right with this 7112. I noticed the fuel filter on the 7112 is not the regular kohler one, but some time of clear case with a paper filter. I think first step might be to get the proper filter, just to see if fuel starvation is an issue. The 7112 also tends to stumble when quick direction changes are made, even without mower running. It also backfires nearly every time it is shut off. Any ideas?

SmilinSam
My guess is if you have vapor or "smoke" comeing out of the breather the engine is in need of a rebuild. Rings are probably getting weak. There may be fuel issues to, but I dont think you are going to get any real power till the engine is gone through.

Al
Hi, If it runs well part of the time, and intermittantly runs poorly,I would drop the float bowl off the carb and drain it. Sounds like it could be a blob of water in the carb. This is a quick and easy fix, and is a common problem. On the cast iron Briggs engines, I just remove the Main jet assy and let the bowl drain for a minute. I catch the fuel to see what is in it. Water will stay in the bottom and small amounts will stay in a "blobule" If it rolls around the main jet, it will effectively plug it. It will not go in because of surface tension. Any movement usually causes it to "roll" away. Very common. Al Eden

GWGAllisfan
Well Progress seems to have occured. Last week I replaced the "who knows where" Fuel filter with a new large diameter Kohler one. Loaned the tractor out to my Father-in-law Friday, and used it myself Saturday. Ran MUCH better. Power difference was noticeable to both of us. More like it should be. It still smokes out the breather, but close oil level checks will suffice on that for now. However, Today I went out to cover it in case we have a thunderstorm, and smell gasoline. There is fuel dripping from under the carb somewhere, Basically directly over the Fuel pump. I guess short term fix is a fuel shut-off, but does anybody know what typical leak points are on underside of Kohler carbs? I don't have a diagram of one of them so I'm kinda in the dark on them.

maxtorman1234
quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
Double gasket on the float bowl, one O ring and one gasket.
Once these gaskets are replaced, you should not have a leak problem, I havent had one leak when the gaskets are properly installed, and smoking out the breather, how much does it smoke, all of mine have a small amount but i have never had a problem with that, i think it is normal, the crankcase breather allows air to exit the bottom end of the engine, and with the crank turning at that speed, i would imagine that the oil turns to a mist and is forced out with the air. Just my opinion, i wouldnt take it as a sign of needing a rebuild. Have you done the valves in the engine? this could cause a lack of power if theyre not properly seating,