Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How do you find tractors?

McGill

I know we have had several dealers in the area, so there are probably a lot of old Simplicity and AC tractors sitting around in yards and behind sheds. Has anyone ever run a classified "Looking for AC/Simplicity parts tractors." has it worked?

You sneak up on them from behind... You haf to be berry, berry qwiet.... Seriously -- I ran a freebie ad locally -- but I didn't get any tractors -- just a 8HP Allis Chalmers snowthower (for free) that I passed on to a good friend ... He replaced the belts, serviced it well, and has been using it all winter...

Hi Mcgill, I just in the past 2 weeks have seen an ad in our local newspaper from a private party advertising used AC and Simplicity tractors for sell parts or whole. I am very forunate because in a 15 mile radius around me there are 4-5 Simplicity tractor dealers and that's not counting how many other brand tractor dealers which could reach as high as 20 in the same radius. I would suggest if you havn't already to check out other brand dealers that have had these older tractors dumped on them so to speak. There is one that I have in mind in my area that at least 3 members in our club have bought used Simplicity's and 1 AC from alone. Then there are the small fixem up shops that buy from the dealers at wholesale to fix them up and resale the tractors- attachments and parts. I have bought in the past 3 years alone 7 used Simplicitys from just one dealer but I am very forunate it being owned by someone I know. I have found the smaller lawn mower and tractor repair shops to be a really good place to find parts and even complete tractors also. I bought my last snow dozer blade at one of these smaller shops for $65 and it just needed painting where as the larger dealers were asking $175-$225 for the same type of blade. I know that I drifted off your question somewhat but hopefully I gave you some idea's. Good luck, >>->happyjack<-<<

HAPPY IS RIGHT.GO TO ALL THE DEALERS OTHER BRANDS USED LAWN AND GARDEN DEALERS .I CHECK ALL OF THE DEALERS OUGHT EVERY OTHER MONTH JUST TO SEE WHAT THEY HAVE.I FIND A LOT OF SIMPLICITY AND ALLIS AT DEERE DEALERS .THEY WANT TO GET RID OF THEM FOR THERE OVER PRICED GREEN TRACTORS.CHECK OUT AGAIN ALL THE DEALERS AROUND YOU.YOU CAN FIND GOOD DEALS .JUST LOOK FOR THEM.AGCO918

A lot of it is "right place right time". I've spent quite a bit of time at my local Case/IH/Simplicity dealer for them to know what I have and what I want. When they're dealing with someone on new equipment, they call me now when a powermax comes availble (running or not). It does depend on the checkbook a little, but my Debbie figures there's worse things I could be spending our money on. Paul

I started running ads off and on two years ago buying non working Simplicity/AC. The first year I picked up about 30 tractors with and without attachments. About half were garden tractors( half of those hydro's), the rest lawn tractors. Last year I only got about a half dozen, and I only took lawn tractors if they were free.( about 1 out of three calls the people are willing to give them to you anyhow just to get rid of them) I usually ask the people what they want and just pay them. Some of the more astonishing buys were: 912H AC $20, 917H AC Hydro lift $150, 7012H $50, and several Hydro Tractors at auction with new engines for under $200. Some tractors are rebuilders but most are parts outfits. To me its a big treasure hunting adventure, everytime the phone rings you never know what you are going to get. This year I am running an ad all year long, and already I purchased a 3112H for parts. I am going to part it out on Ebay as an experiment to see if it is worth doing. The best thing about all this is I get to keep what I want and sell the rest. Its a recipe that works for me, and it makes the hobby pay. Now I am going to make you think. The only drawback to having a paying hobby is all the government tax voodoo you have to set yourself up with. You would think that our government would try to make it easier for those of us who want to provide for ourselves and be self sufficient, but in reality all government does is to provide disincentive for us to do such. That is why we all pay 30%-50% of our income to: income tax, sales tax, property tax,utility tax, government licenses, permits and registrations. Our bright leaders think that lowering the interest rate will entice people to spend their money, but therein is the key. People dont have the money to spend to begin with. I dont care if the interest rate is 0, if you dont have the money to spend -you dont spend. How, might you ask, is all this related to buying old Simplicity/AC ? Well, more and more, people are trying to sell things to generate a little extra money - because they dont have it. If you have all YOUR debts paid, and have some cash built up( even if it is a small amount), the way the economy is going you are going to be able to buy all the old tractors you want, and pretty much anything else for that matter - for bargain prices. I already am. One other thought: There is a fine line, in both buying and selling, between making a good deal and ripping someone off, one should not cross that line. Sam Ericson

My first 700 I acquired from a good friend of mine as settlement for a small debt. I took it to the local Simp dealership to show it off and ask a few questions. They weren't very impressed with the overall condition of the thing. :( I drove over to another nearby small engine shop to try and hunt down some Model 19 parts and get a second opinion and right away the guy said "Hey, If You're interested I got another one of those!" He took me out back and showed my another 700 that was in twice as good a condition as the one I already had, albeit still a little down on it's luck. PLUS..it came with a snowblower, mower deck and plow! We struck a deal AND he even delivered it it to my home. :) I'm now in the process of building one good one out of the two, and enjoying myself immensely. If this thing turns out looking good methinks my next project will be to tear my Power King down and repaint it too!

Our local fuel oil man buys them up to tinker with himself in the summer when he is slow you should here some of the bargains he gets. Cal

Our local fuel oil man buys them up to tinker with himself in the summer when he is slow you should here some of the bargains he gets. Cal

I would very much agree with what the others have said already - i recently decided just for the heck of it to call all the simplicity dealers and some mower shops within a couple hundred mile range of my house and ask abou old a.c. garden tractors and attachments or if they new of any - the response was fairly good for one days work - i found a snowplow / a snowblower / a sicklebar mower / couple mower decks / a couple parts tractors / 2 rear mounted tillers / and some other stuff i cant tell you about because i have to save up the money to get them and i dont want anybody else to get them first / also i made several contacts in the process that will be valuable sources or parts and info in the future - good luck and keep looking there out there you just have to go find them !

My fuel guy ain't got time for that.Too busy making millions selling oil in winter,gasoline in summer!Owns his own business and truck.Gives 'em to me and I get him new oil custs.and will fix him up a REAL NICE Sim.[when he finds one]as he's tired of his MTD thingy!