Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

GII Tractor questions

ibelee

I have been looking at the GII on the Simplicity Website. The website says they were marketed in Canada under the Simplicity Name. Were these also sold here in the USA? Perhaps under a different name? I thought I saw one sitting in a field the other day but am not sure. How hard are these to come by? Does anyone in the Club own one? Thanks.

Are these the same tractor as the A/C Model G? http://www.ytmag.com/profiles/acgprof.htm If so it would seem as if they were powered by two different motors. The Simplicity Model ran a 16HP Kohler and the A/C ran a 4 cylinder Continental.

Other than general appearance, I don't believe there was any similarity between the AC model G and the Simplicity GII. The GII weighed in at about 1100 pounds, while the AC G weighed in at about 1600 pounds. The GII had hydrostatic transmission, and the AC G had a 4 speed manual. Not sure how to compare the horsepower, but the GII was available with a 16 horse Kohler gasoline engine, or Lombardini diesel engines of 14.5 or 17 horsepower. The AC G had a 62 cubic inch, 4 cylinder water cooled engine. It was rated at 7.25 drawbar horsepower and 9.4 PTO (belt pulley) horsepower. The GII had 8 X 24 rear tires, while the original G had 7 X 30 rear tires. Both had 4.00 X 12 front tires. The original G was built from 1948 until 1955. The Simplicity GII was built in the early 80's. The original AC G's are very sought after and collectible today. In running condition, they sell for anywhere from $1800 to $3000 in my area. Properly restored AC G's have sold for more than $11,000. Not sure about the GII's. Literature is all I've ever seen or heard of these tractors.

Thanks for the info Pat. The one I looked at must have been an A/C. It was a lot older than the 80's. One of these days I'm gonna get shot tromping around in Farmers feilds. Just gotta stop and look though. Seems funny that Simplicity would start manufacturing something in the 80's that so closely resembled the earlier model from the 40's and 50's. I read that there were not many of the A/C-G models made and were discontinued because they could not be used for harvesting. I wonder why by the time the 80's came around they found the need to reserect it? Maybe since it was ony sold in Canada it had to do something with the Canadian Economy and Market at that time? Just seems like such a cool machine.

They were basicly made for the vegatable growers, There is also anouther company that is building one like them after the 80s. The Gs had a cultivator, flail mower, plow, planter, sickle mower, rotary mower, and some other atachments. http://cgi.ebay.com/Allis-Chalmer-G-hy-crop_W0QQitemZ150145533881QQihZ005QQcategoryZ46565QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem http://cgi.ebay.com/1948-Allis-Chalmers-G_W0QQitemZ220135358501QQihZ012QQcategoryZ46565QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
They were basicly made for the vegatable growers, There is also anouther company that is building one like them after the 80s. The Gs had a cultivator, flail mower, plow, planter, sickle mower, rotary mower, and some other atachments. http://cgi.ebay.com/Allis-Chalmer-G-hy-crop_W0QQitemZ150145533881QQihZ005QQcategoryZ46565QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem http://cgi.ebay.com/1948-Allis-Chalmers-G_W0QQitemZ220135358501QQihZ012QQcategoryZ46565QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Who is this other company?

There is a listing for an AC G for sale for $5,000 Can in Caledon, which is close to Toronto, through Torontocraigslist. I tried to link it directly, but my computer skills are not up to it. It is in the farm & garden section with posting ID 383696159 and includes a picture. It is described as "professionally repainted and ready for show".

Actually, there were quite a few G's built. Around 30,000 during it's nearly 8 years of production. Growing up here in Northern MN, they were a fairly common sight until the mid-1970's. Not an everyday sight like an M Farmall or WD-45 Allis, but far from rare. It was also during the mid-70's that they really became collectible. You still see a few around with lawn mowers under them, but they are few and far between today as well. Most that are still around have been restored and are used mainly for show or antique farming demonstrations. There was also a French version of the Allis G, called the GR. Same tractor, but powered by a Peugot, rather than a Continental engine. I don't know, but due to the timing of the Simplicity GII, I assume that Simplicity was attempting to capitalize on the newly regained popularity of the original Allis G.

Re-visited the A/C-G today. Crop Farmer and Hands were in the feild picking the Watermellons. Asked him about the G and he says that it was his Fathers Tractor. Says his Father left it where it sits when the engine quit. Told him I had a "slight" intrest in old A/C tractors. Told me "if you can get it out it's yours". Tried to get numbers off of it but it is so rusted and overgrown with vines and poison ivy that I will have to go back with tools. Wasting my time...or worth the effort?

There is a revial of sorts. I can almost by a pickup truck cheaper. http://www.saukvilletractor.com/index.html

Lee, Go for it. Worst case you can part it out. Be best if it could be restored. I would love to have a G just because they're different.

Lee, There were four G's at the Pioneer show. One appeared to be nice, faded original paint, and the other three were restored. Unfortunatly, I did not take any pictures of them. Also, the Mercer County tractor club raffled off a nicely restored G last week. I had a pocket full of ticket stubs for it, but, no luck. It's worth the effort. You might check with the farmer to see if there any attachments laying around for it. They are valuable, also. Good luck, Jim

Jim has a really good suggestion there. You can't just go to the local equipment dealer and buy attachments for a G. Most of the time, if you don't get them with the tractor, you will spend years on ebay looking for them. Make good friends with that farmer too. If he does have any of the attachments, he may remember how they mounted after you get the tractor running. In the 70's and 80's, there were at least two other companies making G type tractors besides Simplicity. I can't remember their names, but one was based it Texas and the other in Georgia. Both machines were designed primarily for cultivating row crops and were equipped with 3 point hitch. Good luck with your freebie.