Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Nubian

Starter woes again

Nubian
Starter problems again. Turning the key spins the starter in the position seen, it does not retract or extend nor does it engage the flywheel I can't tell if the teeth are worn.

lonnyb
Check to see if the gear on the starter is turning, if it is not you will need to check to see if the roll pin has sheared. I had a simialuar problem on a old crapsman lawnmower.

richp
I had the same problem a few years back. You have to replace the starter gear. There is a clutch built in to the gear so if the motor backfires when cranking it won't damage the starter.

Nubian
I don't know what the starter gear is but it does spin at the point of contact with the flywheel only there is no contact I seem to remember that the drive pinion extends out to engage the flywheel. It appears that the drive pinion is stuck in that extended position (with the key on or off) and just spins at a high rate when attempting to start.
quote:
Originally posted by lonnyb
Check to see if the gear on the starter is turning, if it is not you will need to check to see if the roll pin has sheared. I had a simialuar problem on a old crapsman lawnmower.

firefoxz1
Well it looks like the starter got stuck out the last time it started and wore down the teeth. I can see little pieces of metal all around there. If I am seeing right it looks like you may have worn your ring gear teeth down also meaning beside changing you starter/drive you will either need another flywheel or if the gear is changable a ring gear. I do not know what the teeth normally looks like on that engine. Change the starter and check the meshing of the teeth before you put everything thing back together.

Nubian
i have a brand new OEM starter that i can compare teeth with but does anyone know the lenght of the teeth on the flywheel? I have been bedridden after knee surgery since Tues. i will crawl out and measure the flywheel teeth tomorrow.
quote:
Originally posted by firefoxz1
Well it looks like the starter got stuck out the last time it started and wore down the teeth. I can see little pieces of metal all around there. If I am seeing right it looks like you may have worn your ring gear teeth down also meaning beside changing you starter/drive you will either need another flywheel or if the gear is changable a ring gear. I do not know what the teeth normally looks like on that engine. Change the starter and check the meshing of the teeth before you put everything thing back together.

Roy
Looks like the starter gear is too far from the flywheel ring gear. See if the starter mounting position can be adjusted so the teeth mesh properly. Maybe the bottom starter mounting bolt is missing??