Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tej

Adding power steering

DMedal
one question would be whether you've got a Vickers or a Sundstrand transmission. Another consideration in either case is for you to be aware you're going to lose steering when you press on the clutch/brake.

DMedal
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
I believe Tim is talking about using the Hydraulic lift pump.
oh "never mind" Is there an external pressure port on that pump assy? for return I'm thinking only minimal fabrication would be required. Unfortunately, I don't have a hydro lift pump on hand. (sob) -Don

tej
Yes, I am referring to using the hydro lift pump on a B112 with no hydro trans. The lift leveler is mounted to the pump via two pipes. I thought that maybe T-connectors be put in between the lift lever and the pump and hoses run to the power steering unit. Other option would be to replace the vari-drive with a hydro, which I have several of. I like the idea of running it off the lift pump as the tractor has a loader on it and the lift is rarely used.

BLT
To make it work you would have to get a manifold block in between the lift contol valve and pump and add another three lines in that area. I think it couuld get pretty crowded in that area.

tej
Since this tractor will be dedicated to a loader, maybe I should run the tractor lift off of the loader hydraulics and replace the firewall mounted pump with an automobile power steering pump. Problem might be finding a power steering pump that would fit in that confined space.

tej
The loader hydraulic pump is the one that came on the B1 loader. The B1 loader has a dump bucket which I intend to put hydraulic cylinders on and also double acting cylinders on the lift arms. This will put an extra load on the pump. If the B1 pump is not able to do the job I do have a higher volume pump I can replace it with.

DMedal
Are you reluctant to use the loader pump for steering because you want to remove the loader at times? The stock lift pump probably lacks flow to give responsive steering. It is no big deal that it can't lift the deck in 1/2 second, probably a good thing for your deck. But you probably want the steering to respond almost instantly when you turn the wheel suddenly. Then there's the issue of the stock pump having the valve integral to the pump assembly, you'd have quite a bit of fabrication to get a pair of lines hooked up. You might be able to permanantly mount the loader's pump to the engine and plumb it to your power steering setup. Then a pair of disconnects would allow the loader to be removed if needed. You would have a degradation in steering when raising the bucket but that should be manageable. This isn't going to be a small project. -Don

D-17_Dave
Using the lift pump would be more out of the question as the way it is plumbed directly into the valve. However, the loader pump would be ideal for this application with all it's external connections and as long as it's in decent shape it should do you a good job for power steering. All you need to add is a priority flow divider between the pump and the lift valve of the loader. This way it only pulls off the loader flow what you need to steer and will send the rest of the flow to the loader. After you get used to it you would probably never notice the difference in performance of the loader. Cept you'd have power steering.