Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
skunkhome

Deflector for mower

skunkhome
I hit a stick today mowing and sent it sailing about 25 yards. My mower does not have a deflector shield. I have been looking for one without success. Even if I did find a deflector I am not sure if I would like to use since it would add so much width to the mower. Has anyone has had any success with a chain curtain over the mower discharge to stop flying missiles?

DMedal
My mower driver and wife kept getting to (other brand) deflector hung up on trees and bushes. I cleverly temporarily replaced it with a piece of tire sidewall while we got a replacement part. But we've never put the "real" one on because the rubber works so nice. But it still wouldn't stop your stick. -Don

Simpleton7016
those deflectors are a dime a dozen. I have several including a NOS Simplicity orange one. You can have it free for the price of shipping. Just let me know.....I don't use any of them.

Roy
I use a piece of 1/4" thick rubber (neoprene) as a flexible deflector shield. The rubber flexes/bends to avoid the problems of the OEM fixed steel shield. Picture shows what it looked like. [img]uploaded/Roy/Flowers%203-31-001.JPG[/img] I later trimmed some from the back/rear but it still worked fine. Recently made a replacement from red rubber that has faded to orange. Matches the tractor pretty well. The original in the picture lasted 6 or 7 years. Seem to remember that the original idea came from member Smiling Jack a long time ago. Rod, take note. You need one of these. :D

HubbardRA
Thanks Roy! For the rest of you guys, Roy knows that I just put a gravel thru the full-view storm door on my front door. A mess to clean up all those little pieces of glass. A pain to get a replacement. I ended up buying a new Anderson storm door and I am replacing the whole assembly. Might as well fix all of the storm door problems at one time. Just chalk this up as a $200 mistake. I have the metal deflector for the deck, but that makes it too wide to be usable in my small yard, and it becomes a pain to get thru the gate. I would have to open both sides of my double gate. I like the way the mower spreads the grass out and never leaves any windrows without the deflector. Guess I just need to be more careful around my gravel driveway.

MPH
" I like the way the mower spreads the grass out and never leaves any windrows without the deflector. " I hear you there Rod, after the first couple uses I took the one off my newly redone deck on the 3314H-FDT. Beside for windrowing, it's hard to keep the discharge unplugged when mowing tall stuff, that really isn't meant to mowed by lawn mowers, but hey,

skunkhome
I really don't like the rigid defectors as I have many places I mow that are 44-46" wide. I am always real careful to mow with the discharge shute facing away from the house, people and cars etc. but sometimes you just can't avoid pointing it toward something that could take harm. I was just looking for something that would keep the missiles from gaining any altitude. Early Simplicities had the bottom strap that ran from the front to the back of the mower that prevented some kick-outs but on my mower even the square tube has been broken off about 1 inch from the front.

rsachs
The deck on my 1920 has a hinged deflector that I can swing up to get through the narrow spots, load on the trailer and park in the garage. Still the 60" deck is not going to fit into all the tight spots anyway, but the deflector has prevented some pine cones from shooting into the neighbors yard and if I want the grass clippings spread out then I can lift it while mowing. So if you are going to fab something you might consider putting it on a rod/hinge to get the best of both worlds.