Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Magna update w/ some pics !

Simplicity314

Got home yesterday with the new camera and it was getting dark, so some of the far shots didn't come out. It is pouring rain outside all day today. I posted the new shots below, and I'll leave the ones the PO took since the ones I took at this distance didn't come out:
[img]/club2/attach/Simplicity314/Magna_d390_12.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simplicity314/Magna_d561_12.jpg[/img]
And Chris's (This is NOT my tractor, but what they're supposed to look like):
[img]/club2/attach/Simplicity314/Magnatrac_a6618.jpg[/img]
To the PO's knowledge the one he sold me was originally yellow, while every one he's seen is the color of Chris's tractor. You can see the yellow in some of the shots. Here is the closeup of the clutch fork with clutch behind it:
[img]/club2/attach/Simplicity314/mini-Magna_007.jpg[/img]
Another angle:
[img]/club2/attach/Simplicity314/mini-Magna_008.jpg[/img]
This one is dark, but you can see where the clutch cable comes off the pedal and goes to a pulley on top of the frame. I do not know if this is a modification or not, since it is not set up like Chris's. I do have the slot in front of the seat on the side of the frame, but there was never a hole drilled or any other kind of attaching hardware for a small pulley like that:
[img]/club2/attach/Simplicity314/mini-Magna_010.jpg[/img]
Here is the other side. This one is dark too, but the cable comes directly across the frame to the pulley side and is attached to the shackle that is on a 90-deg. bend.
[img]/club2/attach/Simplicity314/mini-Magna_009.jpg[/img]
Chris...here are some shots of the hitch. I was wrong about the tabs being welded, after I cleaned the dirt packed into them. When the weather clears up I'll take some more photos with a tape measure on them so you can ghave the dimensions. There is also a heavy steel bar backing the hitches. I'll take it apart and take photos of that too:
[img]/club2/attach/Simplicity314/mini-Magna_005.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simplicity314/mini-Magna_004.jpg[/img]
That's it for now...I have more but it was too dark. And again if anyone knows anything about this company (Magna America--not magnatrack or struck) or these tractors I (and Chris) are looking for any info and literature Thanks.

I am looking forward to those pics! I really like seeing these orphan tractors, but they are a booger to find info on! This post was not useless, it is building anticipation!:D

Good find! Its nice to see another Magnatrac, I posted that pic on Yesterdays Tractors, its still sitting in the garage. I was never able to find much info on these and I don't have any manuals. There were at least two models made, a 7-1/4hp (mine is the 7-1/4) and a 9hp. Maybe the two models were painted different? The only other one I had seen on the internet was a 9hp and it was gold but that could have been a repaint. I believe there was some relation between these and the Wagner garden tractors. A friend of mine that collects Cub Cadet told me he'd read an article in RedPower magazine which said that before IH decided to build their own garden tractor, they had talked to Magnatrac about possibly building one for them but decided it wasn't heavy enough.

That's yours!?? Cool! And thanks for the info. I'll get together what the PO said in his emails and send them to you. What engine did they use in the 7.5? Is that the clutch cable going through that slot on the side of the frame of your tractor? I was going to email you about that on YT but wanted to make sure mine wasn't modified (A wasps nest in a nearby tractor put that off). The cable on mine is further up and goes over a pulley on top of the frame, then across between the engine and the s/g. I'll post pictures soon. The PO said mine was originally yellow--so maybe I got the cub demo!! Just think what the cub space cadets woud pay for that lol. Don't think I'll sell it though--it's too neat. He also said the rear ends in the Magnas are the same as a White tractor--for future reference.

Yeah, thats mine. It hasn't run for 3 years, it has a nest under the engine shroud and I never got around to fixing it. It is a very interesting tractor, kind of a cross between a Sears Suburban and a Simplicity. engine is a Briggs model 19D. The rear end appears to be a peerless 3 speed. To answer your question: Yes that is the clutch cable.

There is supposed to be a cover that goes over the belts for safety.

It has some interesting features. I have the deck for it but it's not at the house. It is about 38" or 40" and has full rollers accross the back but they are wooden rollers. And just like a Simplicity, the deck mounts to the pivoting front axle. Much like Simplicity the axle is made of solid steel bar rather than cast iron.

Another interesting feature is the depth stop device with a hand crank to limit lift lever movement, a similar feature to what you see on many of todays mowers.

One odd thing is that mine is missing the drawbar, appears as if some sort of lift hitch could have fit onto it. I see yours still has it. Would it be possible for you to get a close up of the rear hitch when you get a camera? Thanks.

No problem Chris, and thanks for the pics! I was going to post some of those same shots... A belt guard?? Grrr. PO told me it was complete, except for front dash panel. The ones he owned may have not had them so he may not have known. My clutch cable is definately routed differently. The horizontal hitch, the one that is stamped out on yours, is a seperate piece welded to the frame on mine. I figured it was for a leaf bagger, since this machine seems small for a garden tractor to use with real implements. I should have a new camera by tomorrow afternoon so hopefully I can get some shots up. edit: Just noticed in the belt guard shot you have an idler pulley behind the drive pullies that have the clutch, and a belt on that inside pulley. Is that a PTO setup? I was just theorizing when I mentioned it was probably to drive a PTO. I know where yours is parked it's hard to get shots, but could you just tell me where that inside belt goes? Thanks Chris.

I knew a guy when I was tractor-pulling many years ago who had one of these machines. I remember it because of the clutch design. I hadn't even thought about that one till you posted a picture of the clutch. I haven't seen that guy in about 10 years. His brother also pulled a B112. Brings back old memories.

Yes, that is the PTO for the mower. I already had this pic but hadn't posted it.

The cast iron pulley towards the rear drives a shaft with another pulley on the inside of the frame. I always thougt this tractor was plenty heavy for using implements, it has 12" rims, a heavy peerless transmission, and a powerful enough engine. If they made attachments besides the mower I'd like to see them. I think there was a front dozer blade, as there is a hole in the lift lever for some kind of lift rod to connect to. Chris

Oh man mine is different--or missing another pulley. I had that reversed--it's the idler forward of the shaft. Not on my machine, but the holes to bolt the engine on are slotted, so the belt could be tighened by moving the engine. You'll have to see the pics when I get 'em up. It's good to have another machine to go off of, especially with this off-brand! Oh I think it's heavy enough to use implements, but like a broadoor is. It'll do the job, but a LL will have an easier time of it. I noticed the place for a lift rod for a dozer blade, and there is a place to rig one. I thought the brinly hitch might work on that rear receiver, but it's too small even for that. Pics should be up tomorrow evening.

Thanks for the pics. I think your clutch cable is routed the same. It may have appeared different since mine has electric start. I have a pulley on the left side of the frame near the pedal, just like yours, I think. I'll check again tomorrow to be sure.