Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC712 clutch problem

IronPony

While mowing I pushed in the foot clutch on my shuttle drive AC712 and felt the tension on the peddle ease up a bit. The clutch peddle rebounded with less force and the tractor went very slow and stopped. I reversed using the hand lever and was able to move but just like the forward it was very slow. There was no noise associated with this. What should I be looking for? I went back to the place where this happened and found a a broken belt about 8.5 inches long and 7/8 inches wide that looks like a vacuum cleaner belt. I don't know if this came off the tractor or not. Sure don't know where else it could have come from. I checked my repair manual and can't get a handle on this from looking and reading about the shuttle and clutch systems there. I could not locate a belt that looks like the one I found on the ground either. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Well, I went back to the scene of the crime and found a spring that is the return spring for the clutch. Wonder where that little belt came from?:Osm01

quote:
Originally posted by IronPony
Well, I went back to the scene of the crime and found a spring that is the return spring for the clutch. Wonder where that little belt came from?:Osm01
I was thinking you broke the forward belt but if the tractor runs in forward it must just be a bit of trash someone dropped in your yard.