Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Husqvarna tractor

rentalboyzs

i have a chance to pickup a husqvarna tractor cheap i was wondering if anyone here knows of a site for if on these. i'm not sure of model yet all i know for sure is it's a hydro unit and been wanting one to play with. any help out there? thanks rentalboyzs8D

Depending on the age, it may be an AYP (American Yard Products) tractor. If it is old, or a big tractor, you have nothing to fear, but if it is one of these new little ones, buyer beware. AYP is owned by Electrolux, but Husky is supported by the corporate Husky site. I don't know of a forum such as this for them, but you should be able to get manuals and parts breakdowns there. Hope this helps- Andy

I have a YTH 180 bought in 2000 with 300+ hours on it. Friend of mine had an older one, with about 600 hours on it and replaced deck bearings. Next the front axle fell of and he traded it off on a john deer. Stan

quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
MTD
Nope. Husqvarna is Electrolux (formerly Roper, and David-Bradley before that), a completely different company. Craftsman is Electrolux too. Weedeater brand tractors and walk behinds are (were?) also Electrolux. Not sure if they still are as I haven't seen any new ones lately. Not much different, quality-wise, than an MTD though.

I probably added some confusion... AYP is synonymous with Electrolux. E-lux is the parent company. MTD (Modern Tool and Die, or better said Made To Die) is a different company altogether. They both make cheap junk as far as I am concerned. If I had to compare it, I would say that MTD is Walmart, as AYP is to Target. Still cheap crap, but slightly better quality, or at least they make you feel that way. Pat, the weedeater trimmers, tractors, and walk behinds are made by AYP/E-lux last I saw, which was this spring. Andy

quote:
Originally posted by carbuff713
Husqvarna Tractors are made by AYP -- they are the same as Sears Craftmans.
Forgot AYP. Not sure if that was a Roper company, or if Roper was an AYP company. Hard to keep up with all the mergers over the past 20+ years.

I got one that has a 12 hp briggs that is a piece of crap . only thing good is motor and tires the rest is going to scrap.

My uncle was talked into buying a new one and after about 20 hours the deck spindle needed to be replaced, then at 42 hours, the engine blew up. It was a 20HP single briggs, nothing but trouble with the peice of crap. Dealer blames it on my uncle for putting dipstick in all the way to check oil, it leaked and clunked and rattled when under load, overall junk:D

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
My uncle was talked into buying a new one and after about 20 hours the deck spindle needed to be replaced, then at 42 hours, the engine blew up. It was a 20HP single briggs, nothing but trouble with the peice of crap. Dealer blames it on my uncle for putting dipstick in all the way to check oil, it leaked and clunked and rattled when under load, overall junk:D
How long ago? If its the 31C707-0154, We have seen multiple failures at our shop from a problem with the top bearing getting oil. The top bearing fails, and breaks the syncro-balance rod that connects the weight to the crank, and it throws that weight right out through the back of the block. We saw it on Troy-Bilt tractors and generators, but I would venture to guess that that spec engine was used elsewhere too. The most hours I saw on one was 52, but the few others were relatively low hour failures. Obviously, without seeing it, that may not be the problem, but it doesn't sound like problem that could have been caused by the difference between the two different positions to check oil. In fact, you are supposed to put the dipstick in all the way to check the oil on a briggs. I know you aren't supposed to on Honda, and some other engines, but there are very specific instructions, and decals that come with the unit to tell you that. On the Intek, even if you weren't supposed to put the dipstick in all the way, the difference is still in the "operational range" on the dipstick. I think the dealer was bluffing, and couldn't figure out what the heck happened, and took the easiest way out, but that's just me. Sorry to hijack the thread, but maybe this offers insight on just what these economy lines offer for John Q Consumer. Andy

I totally agree, i think the dealer is full of excuses, he dosent know what happened. The engine is seized now, but would turn a little anyhow im not sure of the model number, but the dipstick like you said is still in the operating zone. I've had other encounters with him as well, he thinks he knows everything, but what he sais dosent make sense. There are no holes in the block, however the head gasket did seem to leak and a puddle formed on the shroud below, shortly after it died^. O this happened a couple months ago, the tractor was his "demo" model from last year.