Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BroadmoorMan

728 back on track(8-17-07)

BroadmoorMan
Well I FINALLY got off my lazy :|| and got back to work on the 728. I have sanded down and painted the hood,seat pan, wheels, transmission, and dash. The frame is halfway done and is awaiting 3 more coats of paint and clear coat. Sorry bout the pics.Will try to get better ones tomorrow in the sun.

A good thing for this project is that my dad is gone for a couple days which means there is a open space in the garage! So it has become my new engine shop! So Mark(MarksA-C) is coming over tomorrow so we can get the engine fixed. If everything goes as planned,which it probably wont, I should have it together by sunday!:Q

SimpleTom
Tim, I thought you hd the whole thing painted already and were just waiting for a different trans and fix the oil leak? Are you using the Duplicolor 1607 paint now? Looks good again so far. Tom

BroadmoorMan
quote:
Originally posted by SimpleTom
Tim, I thought you hd the whole thing painted already and were just waiting for a different trans and fix the oil leak? Are you using the Duplicolor 1607 paint now? Looks good again so far. Tom
well I did have it painted but the paint I used chiped way too easy and the color just didnt match. yes I am using the duplicolor paint now.

BroadmoorMan
well I now have a rolling chassis and everything is primed, painted, and clear coated. I hope too have it done in time for the sussex show. But while assembling it today I might have scratched the frame a little bit.ngr2 If you look closely you can see some shiny metal near the front spindle. Does anyone know if there is a easy fix for something like this? I have also found that the gas tank is full of loose rust. Is there a way to get all of it out?

SimpleTom
Tim, Looks good! That last picture isn't of your tractor gas tank right? Looks like your plastic gas can. I would pour the gas out through a filter into another container and then rinse the can out with a hose and let it dry out before you put gas back into it. Tom

mbrook
Tim, do a search for cleaning gas tank or rust in gas tank on this site. I have heard of people using misc items in the tank like bolts and nuts or pepples, then strapping it to a tire on another tractor and driving it around. This will loosen all the rust from inside the tank, then it can be flushed with a cleaner or gas, I would avoid using any water inside the tank. The main downfall to this would be if you have thin spots in the tank, you would stand a chance of getting some pin holes.

BroadmoorMan
Thanks guys for your advise.Will have to try those ideas very soon. Today I was able to put most of it together.I think it looks pretty good.

Some steel wool on the bumper and it looks brand new!

This weekends project is the engine.Will update when I can.