Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Broadmoor 727 up and running.

I've been posting some info about a late '60s Broadmoor that I had gotten for free with a seized engine. Last week I had mentioned that the engine was freed up (a happy surprise that I was able to do this), and that I was about to put the head back on and fire it up. Well, I put it back together this past Thursday, hooked the battery up to a jumper, and it fired right up! Engine sounds very strong and does not smoke, and there don't seem to be any unusual noises. I drove it up and down my driveway about 20 times, and the gears all seem to work fine as well. I love the starter/generator on the tractor--it really cranks that little engine nicely! I am a little worried about the mortality of the engine now. The local Simplicity dealer said that if the crank and rod had seized that there may have been some metal transfer that will cause the engine to first knock and then send a rod through the case. He even said that it's probably already knocking (I certainly can't hear anything). I'm hoping that I'll luck out and the engine will last awhile, and that the local dealer was just trying to get me scared so that I'd buy the used Broadmoor he has there for $500. I guess only time will tell. I still have a few things to work out on the tractor. I've got an apparent carb problem, because it will only run when the choke is half on (going to try to clean the carb), and I've also got to have one of the bars for the frame of the mower deck welded. I work at a car dealership, and one of the mechanics has agreed to weld that for me. Then I'm going to lube everything up really well, possibly change the oil in the rear end, and then I'll be ready for mowing the lawn in the spring. I have to say that so far I'm having a great time with this neat old tractor! Greg

Kent
Hi Greg, If it were myself I would just use it and not worry about what the dealer said. Your dealer could be write but if the engines not knocking now then it might just been fine. Just make sure you keep the oil clean and check it often and also use the write weight oil for the season. Make sure to keep the engines cooling system clean such as the flywheel cover, the cooling fins,and you can check to see if the flywheel is suching in air with the engine running. If the engine does start knocking then at that time just shut it off and get the check book out. But untill then just enjoy your little tractor and who knows that engine may last another 5 hours of use or just maybe another 500 hours. Also remember back then the engines were'nt so wimpie like the ones made today. I did have a 738 Broadmoor and it was a really nice tractor and I found the engine to be most bullet proof and not all that expensive for a rebuild or for that matter a good used one if needed. Take care, >>->happyjack<-<<